Another Fertilizer Question... :)

Hey Everyone,

I fertilized my lawn with Scotts Turf Builder about two weeks ago. Everything is turning green and all your comments and suggestions helped me. BUT I am starting to notice dandelion's and white tops in my grass now! What would be the best way to control that? Should I go buy Scotts Turf Builder Plus 2 and refertilize the lawn? Or should I find some spray thats safe for the lawn and spray each infected area? Any information would be greatly appreciated!

Shane

Reply to
Shane

Ortho's weed be gone liquid works great. It even comes in a ready to use hose end sprayer, if you're leery of mixing it yourself.

Don't re-fertilize till 6 weeks have gone by.

Reply to
Steveo

Reply to
Anonymous

Thanks Steveo, I can always count on a reply from you! :)

Shane

Reply to
Shane

Thanks Anonymous, looks like I'll be getting some Weed B Gone at Home Depot this week! :)

Shane

Reply to
Shane

Reply to
Steveo

Steveo,

I haven't put down a crabgrass preventer, is that something I really need to do? I don't think I have any crabgrass anywhere. I have Kentuky blue grass and the only thing that looks bad is the dandelion's and now the white top weeds that are starting to spread in the backyard. :( I can get the dandelion's undercontrol, but I'm kinda worried about this white top weed.

Shane

information

Reply to
Shane

Well I didn't catch where you live first off. At any rate, crabgrass is an annual grass weed, it only lives one growing season so most of it can be prevented in the spring. You may not need a pre-emergence, but it's a decent insurance policy. It may not be too late for you to use it, depending on your soil temp in a few weeks when it's time for you to feed again. (if you decide to use it)

We try to get it down before the Forsythia stops blooming here in N Ohio. ( btw..Dimension is a good preventer)

"Shane" wrote:

Reply to
Steveo

I live in Utah. Its still pretty cold here so in 2 week's (because I already put down turb builder 2 weeks ago) I should lay down some crabgrass preventer. Any other sugestions for a first time home owner? :)

Shane

Reply to
Shane

If you're growing bluegrass there then I suppose you might have crabgrass pressure too. (?) So yes, you might want to consider a pre-emergent while you still can.

ps. you can't plant grass seed when using a pre-e.

Are we writing a book? :)

"Shane" wrote:

Reply to
Steveo