snapper gas leak

I went out to crank up my OLD snapper riding mower with a B&S 8 hp pull start riding mower and it started after a few pulls. :) It is leaking gas out of the bottom of the chamber that is below where the air cleaner is attached. :( There appears to be a small screen at the bottom of this chamber and the gas is leaking out of this chamber when the gas on/off valve is turned on when the mower is not running. After this chamber is the bowl and then it is bolted to the engine. I had let it sit for a year or so and couldn't get it to start so I cleaned the carb assy and jets and that is when it started leaking out the bottom. Any ideas to why it would start leaking just because it was cleaned ? Do I have to buy a new carb to stop it. For now I turn off gas c*ck when not using but was going to give to niece and wanted it not to leak for her.

Reply to
DrPhil

it needs a new needle and seat in the carb. Chip

Reply to
chip

thanks Chip

Reply to
DrPhil

Can't say I really follow your description but 2 thoughts - if this is the model where the needle valve holds the sediment bowl on, I would make sure there is a good washer / gasket - and I think they have one inside the bowl and another outside.

The other thought is - what did you use to clean the carb - some float needles have neophrene seats that can't stand some solvents.

Reply to
Srgnt Billko