Steveo, its that time of year again! :)

Hey Steveo,

I have a few questions I'm sure you can answer. I live in the midwest and it stopped snowing in the valley, but its been in the upper 30's with rain ever other day. My soils is claylike and my grass I think is a kentucky blue grass, or a kentucky/rye not 100% sure on that. Anyways, my questions are...

1.) When should I Aerate my lawn? 2.) When should I start fertilizing the lawn? (after the aerating which is schedules for first part of april) a.) and what fertilizer should I start with. (Scotts) b.) If I don't plan on watering the grass for at least another month should I even fertilize the lawn? c.) If fertilze with not water will it burn the lawn? 3.) Dethatching... yes or no, or not really necessary?

As always thanks for your help in answering my questions, hopefully next year I'll be helping others instead of still recieving help! :)

Reply to
Shane

Once the soil will support the machine without turning it into a mud pit, and before you apply your crabgrass preventer.

If you're planning on using a pre-emergent crabgrass control plus fertilizer like Halts (Scotts), you need to have that down before the forsythia finishes blooming.

I would..there's usually ample rainfall in the spring to not have to irrigate.

No. There is almost no burn potential if applied correctly, especially in the spring.

Ony if your thatch layer is in excess of 3/4 of an inch. You'd be better off doing that in the fall and overseeding afterward if needed.

No problem, Shane. :)

Good luck, and happy growing!

Reply to
Steveo