fall lawn care for "newly" seeded lawn

New Construction house which closed in December 05. Grass planted (seeded and strawed) in June of 06. Cincinnati, Ohio

Fertilized once with scott's turfbuilder plus in August. Grass is green and thick in most spots.

when should any of the following be done:

a) plant grass seed in bare spots and thin spots? b) fertilize again? c) use weedkiller (for crab grass and cloves)? d) how low should grass get cut?

I have heard to fertilize right before it snows... which I planned on doing. Any reason to fertilize now, then again in November? Can I wait until November?

In addition any "pre-winter" outside home maintainance anyone suggests?

Reply to
jIM

you can re-seed any areas that need it provided you'r enot too late in the season. you're in OH so as long as you're not putting down sees too close ( > 2 weeks before) before first frost you'll be ok.

i personally would not fertilize again this late in season, if you already put some in august. especially if it contains any sort of crabgrass prevention additives, as this will also inhibit the growth of new grass.

if crabgrass is a problem, put down some crabgrass preventative down before spring (late winter). this will help control the germination of the dormant crabgrass seeds.

grass length depends on the species. here in upstate NY i have rye/fescue/bluegrass mix in my lawn which, from my experience, is best cut 2.5-3" long. do some research on your lawn type and determine proper length.

make sure you mow one last time after you rake leaves up. you don't want a pile of wet leaves on your lawn, that will cause all sorts of problems.

another thing you'll want to consider is aerating your lawn with a plug/core aerator at least 1 time per season, more if you have heavily packed soil or if its got high clay content.

hope this helps. good luck. a beautiful healthy lawn takes alot of work and continuous upkeep but it will make you very proud!

-mario

jIM wrote:

Reply to
mvalenta

Yes!

Wait at least 8 weeks from the previous feeding. You can use "half-rate."

No. This is not the time of year to apply crabgrass control nor weed killers. Weed killer is especially harsh on young grass. Spot treat weeds and apply a crab-grass pre-emergence next spring.

Do not remove more than 1/3 of the grass blade length. The height depends on the kind (bluegrass, fescue, etc) of grass.

Be careful of overfertilization. You can apply it twice, but use half the recommended amount both times. If you can use an organic fertilizer (at full strength) all the better. Organic fertilizers include Milorganite, palletized chicken manure, seaweed, fish emulsion, etc. A yearly soil test is a very good idea.

Reply to
Phisherman