Questions about ZTR mowers

I'm looking at buying a ZTR, a Cub Cadet RZT 42 specifically, and was wondering if anyone could answer a couple of questions about ZTRs in general and the RZT 42 in specific.

How well does a ZTR handle bumpy turf? I have several large trees with some exposed roots and have a heck of a time mowing around them with my current mower. I've managed to wreck the deck a few times where I've had to weld it up and fix the anti scalp wheel in the center.

My front yard is sloped down, nothing I worry about on the old tractor but I have heard that ZTRs don't like sloping lawns.

What kind of control do ZTRs have? I have a corner lot and 2 sides have curbs I've had problems with the old mower catching the curb and wanting to follow it and sometimes it catches me off guard and I have to watch I don't get pulled over onto the road. I've never actually gone off, I can't imagine the damage to the blade or spindle, but it does make me wary to mow close. Biggest problem with the current mower is that the steering is sloppy so if the ZTR in general is pretty steady that is a plus.

Can a ZTR pull anything?? All of the ones I looked at did not seem to have any kind of hitch or place to hook a trailer or attacment to. Now I don't have any need other than maybe a dethatcher so its not a deal breaker but if it could pull a small amount it would be nice.

Finally to the specific questions reguarding the RZT 42, does anyone know the life expectancy of the motor/pumps?? I've heard that the motor and hydro punmps are one unit and am concerned that if there is problems with it that it might almost total out the mower and at $2599 I can't afford that!!

I need to replace my old mower asap since I have feet problems and if I try to do the entire 1/2 acre using a push mower I'm liable to not be able to walk the next day. Home Depot has the RXT 42 for 2599 with zero finance charge and no payments for 12 months. If I open up a charge card with them I also get 10% off up to 200 dollars so I figured I could get the whole shebang for 2400 + tax and wait until my bonus check next March and then pay it off.

The main reason I wanted a ZTR is I have 20 or so trees and other junk I have to mow around and I thought I might have a better time and less trimming with ZTR over a regular tractor but the price might just be a breaker so if anyone can recomend a regular lawn mower or brand I'd appreciated it.

Sorry to be so long but any answers/suggestions will be appreciated.

Thanks

Bill

Reply to
Bill

Dealers around here will bring them out for demonstrations. That would answer all your questions.

From Mel & Donnie in Bluebird Valley

Mel M Kelly