Need Help

Hello all, Can any one help me to select a good product that kill all grass and unwanted plants from the backyard. Before spring arrive I would like to appply in backyard so there will be no grass and unwanted plant. I am looking for very powerfull chemical or seed that kill all for good.

Thanks in advance

Reply to
Rollers Loft+

Nothing will kill everything. Where do you live?

Is this a joke?

Reply to
Steveo

Round-Up is a broadspectrum herbicide.

Reply to
Jay S

Try concrete;-). Roundup will not work if the weather is cold. The plant has to be actively growing.

You could use a torch to burn off the top growth.

Reply to
hollenback

Yes, but keep in mind that roundup will only work for actively growing plants (as above), but won't touch weed seeds on-top or below the surface. If you till or otherwise disturb the surface after spraying the roundup, you will bring new weed seeds up, which will quickly sprout. The best, not not necessarily the most practical, is the spray roundup, prepare the seedbed, water for several weeks to sprout all new seeds, and then sprayroundup again. That is unless a professional with a license can use a stronger fumicide (and those are highly regulated).

Reply to
Jeff

round-up is a weak herbicide. round-up will not kill your quack and crab grasses and you have to spray about once or even twice a month to keep your unwanted growths from growing.

Try Crossbow. I have heard that is more potent.

Jay S wrote:

Reply to
Die Spammer !!!

Isn't crossbow a product that is able to be purchased and used only by someone with a license? ...and isn't it made for a different purpose than roundup? Unless I'm mixing this up with some other product, it is made to prevent all new growth of all vegitation for years, like you would want to do under a patio or driveway, not for killing weeds where you are planning to plant grass. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong. I've had little problem using Roundup to kill crab and all other weeds as long as it is used correctly and sometimes applied with a 2nd spraying on tough plants.

Reply to
Jeff

Crossbow isn't even non-selective. More bad advice from dipshit die spammer.

Reply to
Steveo

I live in northern New Jersey. I did search on net and came to know some thing called "PreEmergence" which I believe apply before weed, grass start to grow or early spring when temperature about to hit between 55-60.

Is there some kind of Preemergence which would last for 3 months or more? Right now every thing is dead in backyard because of cold but they are not far away to grow up again(may be mid or early March)

Please advice

Reply to
Rollers Loft+

Are you ever going to want to grow anything there again? There are ground sterilants that are supposed to pretty much kill everything that's there, but if your property adjoins others who have plants and trees along the property line, I'd be careful not to apply it too closely, talk with someone knowledgable about the product (not just the kid they hired to stock the shelves and point to where products are, someone who has training) to determine the safe distance to apply it as you would not want to be sued by unhappy neighbors for the costs of trees, as that could run to the thousands in damages. Even roundup drifts, and while it claims to be able to kill quackgrass with its new formulation, it doesn't do a great job at it, but you can bet it'll kill anything you don't want it to kill!!

Some ground sterilants are supposed to last for 3 years. But I imagine it works well for one season, lets some stubborn weeds in after that, but 3 or more years will likely have to pass before you can grow plants you want to grow, again.

Reply to
Janice

Thanks for your input. That is correct my property adjoints but I do not want anything grow up again there. Where I can find it? I have homedepot in my area but not sure if they carry it

Thank you

Reply to
Rollers Loft+

with a license? ...and isn't it made for a different

is made to prevent all new growth of all vegitation for

weeds where you are planning to plant grass. Someone

crab and all other weeds as long as it is used

maybe 3d, 4th, 5th, 6th 7th, etc etc

umm... if it is sold in stores on the shelf, anyone of legal age would be able to buy it and use it with no license...

and yep, Crossbow is the ultimate in a vegetation killer. you know what I mean...

Reply to
Die Spammer !!!

I've not been out in the world doing anything for quite some time, disabled, so I'm not sure what products are still on the market or have been replaced by new products. It all depends on what you want to kill. I started using Ortho Brush-B-Gone to kill weed elm trees and such, just brushing it across cut surfaces and exposed bark and it works, first time every time for that purpose, but it can be sprayed too I understand.

Do a search for Herbicides sterilants and it should come up with something, but some of them are going to be limited to "professional use" and rightly so if they actually work! You don't want to kill the neighbor's plants.

I didn't catch what part of the country/world you are in. Here all it would take is .. don't water the yard, and everything will die, short of trees and even they too would eventually die if there wasn't a water source their roots could reach.

Ask in garden centers, more than home depot, or your local extension agency.. if you are in USA. they should know what to use! Keep in mind, if you do not own the place, spraying some heavy duty herbicide on the place may make your landlord *very* angry. If you do own, and you may want to sell someday, it may well be worth your time to think how a prospective buyer might feel about a yard that has been sprayed with ground sterilants and they couldn't grow anything for years, and the soil may retain enough contaminants from the spray to never be able to grow some plants, for decades. I know I'd not buy any property that had thus been sprayed. Just a thought! ;-)

Janice

Reply to
Janice

Thanks again for your input. I will look into it. I got enough information to get this project started. Yes there are some limitations I found while shopping online for ground sterilants(some online stores do not ship to New Jersey and other states not sure why)

I am in eastern part of USA. The soil here is so rich and did not remember if I ever water the yard. As spring arrives there will be lot of rainfall and once temp. gets around 55-60 my backyard will be full of weed, grass. The only thing kills them in cold.

I own the place and do not have any plan to sell the property, I am only hoping/careful not too damage neighbor's plants...One last thing once I get the product should I apply it now or wait until spring arrives. Well I should ask what would be the good time to apply ground sterilants?

Thanks again for all your input

Reply to
Rollers Loft+

Most any soil sterilant requires a license to use and is very toxic. Be careful with that stuff.

Reply to
Steveo

Any products will have instructions for use, but you'd want to apply it in warm dry weather I'd imagine.

You can also put down a heavy duty plastic or better a commercial landscape fabric and cover it with gravel or bark, then jut round up anything that may find purchase in that. Sounds like a better solution safer for you, any animals that may come through, the groundwater, your neighbors, etc.

It sounds as if they laws have tightened up since I last saw what was on the herbicide shelves ;-) And rightly so.

Nothing short of concrete or asphalt will be any sort of a long term solution, and even those can eventually fail, cracks and such form, and they can affect water runoff..into your basement if you have one perhaps. Landscape fabric lets water through.

Good luck!

Reply to
Janice

One last thing would it harm birds. I have birds and they do get pick things up from ground wondering after apply this to soil and if they eat some thing off gound would it be problem. Thanks in advance

Reply to
Rollers Loft+