How does one kill plants?

Hello everyone, never posted here before but I sure hope I can get some help.

I have a patch in my garden which I would dearly like to kill everything off--plants, shrubs and grass--since I will be placing clay bricks in this position in 2 months. Can anyone tell me what chemical/s I could use to permanently kill every living plant in this area?

Many thanks in advance.

PS I've tried salt, it has worked but not as well as I had hoped for. Weed killer has also worked on the smallish plants and grasses, but the bigger plants seem to be resisting it.

Reply to
aussie gal

Do you have RoundUp in Oz? Glyphosate is the active ingredient, which is pretty effective on anything that doesn't have waxy, impermeable foliage.

Very little will kill everything *permanently*. Glyphosate will kill the existing plant down to the root, but will not prevent other seeds from germinating. If you don't mortar between your bricks, some plant life may emerge in the tiniest spaces.

Don't know what you mean by "bigger plants." RoundUp will probably kill a bush, but won't dissolve the structure. That is, you will still need to chop/remove the dead debris.

Reply to
Frogleg

Tebuthuiron.

Reply to
Phisherman

Hmmm...One of the fastest ways I know of is let me come and try to keep the plants alive.

But seriously, if there are large bushes or even small trees one of the best ways is to dig them out and then when you lay the bricks put down mortar instead of just sand. This should keep anything from coming up in the spaces between the bricks.

Shell

Reply to
Shell91

Reply to
canuckistani

Until I read further, I was going to say "fuss over them too much." Beginning with too much water, of course. zemedelec

Reply to
Zemedelec

I just dug up everything in the area. Didn't have any large bushes where I wanted the bricks though. Did have a weed sapling, we chopped it down and dug out the root.

I did use a 2-inch pea gravel base followed by 2 inches of limestone screenings. Nothing is growing between my bricks except for the birdseed that falls on top. And that is easy enough to sweep out.

I used the concrete patio pavers, have very little space between them. I swept more screenings between the bricks, and keep some on hand to refresh/clean the area when necessary. Just drop some down, give a gentle spray of water, and sweep it across using a stiff-bristle pushbroom. Looks almost paved when it dries until it gets covered with muddy dog footprints again.

Janine

Reply to
jrstark

"Frogleg" wrote

You can kill anything with roundup, but if it has waxy leaves you may need to cut away a portion of bark (this could be done at the same time as trimming back the foliage on the plant) and paint straight Roundup on the wound with a brush. This technique also has the advantage of preventing accidental over-spray.

Reply to
Dave Gower

I have murdered intractable clumps of grass by enclosing tem in carboard tubes and spraying with Roundup. The advantage is that the Roundup kills the roots too, and the cardboard tubes prevent any overspray.

Reply to
Peter Jason

Reply to
Snogoose

Wait until you meet my dog Phyto!

Reply to
Beecrofter

aussie gal wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@email.com:

Have you tried dingo or kangaroo urine?

Reply to
Salty Thumb

Just let my wife take care of them for awhile. She can probably kill Kudzu Visit my website:

expressed are those of my wifes, I had no input whatsoever. Remove "nospam" from email addy.

Reply to
Roy