Killing Grass Within Shrubs & Plants

Several...any competent lawn/garden supply can provide...

Reply to
Duane Bozarth

No, I use roundup and just cover what I dont want to kill

Reply to
m Ransley

OK Duane name 2

Reply to
m Ransley

You didn't say where you live. If you are far enough north, you can use "Preen" which is the same thing as a pre-emergent crabgrass killer. It just prevents new sprouts. But if they are already there you need a thick (3" or more) mulch. Another thing that works well is corn gluten, but it's a bit pricey. Chemicals such as RoundUp and CleanUp are too hard to control and you'll wind up killing your shrubs.

Reply to
William W. Plummer

Pre-emergent is a seed killer. Once the seed germinates, it's too late.

"William W. Plummer" wrote

Reply to
John B

Have blowtorch, will travel. Actually, I am glad to hear of "Grass-B-Gone" by Ortho. I didn't know there was such a product. Sounds expensive. Sounds like it is worth it. Roundup is expensive, too, and it's slow acting.

Reply to
John B

Ornamec, and Grass Getter. They're very nasty chemicals, but kill only grasses and not broadleaf plants.

Eileen (not Duane)

Reply to
E Gregory

In article , john snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com says... :) All: :) :) I would like to get rid of a great deal of grass that is growing amongst :) my shrubs and plants outdoors. Is there a product (chemical) that I can :) use to kill the grass without damaging the greenery I wish to keep? :) Ortho Grass-B-Gone. They supposedly guarantee it won't harm your landscape plants.

Reply to
Lar

I've heard that this works, but have yet to try it. Have you tried it with success? I have a feeling that the squirrels would eat it before it could work at my house! Eileen

Reply to
E Gregory

All:

I would like to get rid of a great deal of grass that is growing amongst my shrubs and plants outdoors. Is there a product (chemical) that I can use to kill the grass without damaging the greenery I wish to keep?

Please advise.

Thanks,

John

Reply to
John

I know of two general classes of selective grass-effective herbicides--there may be others more recent. Ortho is one common home-owner-available brand name that markets at least one--

I put the general response down as what will be available to OP will depend on where he is/goes...

Aryloxyphenoxy Propionates (formerly Oxyphenoxy Acid Esters Fusilade is the most widely used for postemergence control of both perennial and annual grass weeds, over-the-top in broadleaved crops, especially cotton and soybeans. (I believe this is the class in Ortho Grass-B-Gone, but I'm not absolutely positive w/o looking it up).

Others of this same type are Whip, Acclaim, Verdict, Gallant, Hoelon and Assure.

Cyclohexanediones -- Poast and Select/Prism.

Reply to
Duane Bozarth

Use Roundup. It kills the weeds/grass by their roots. That way they wont come back to haunt you all summer.

Use a cardboard shield to prevent from getting it on your shrubs.

Buy the generic roundup (glysophate) at an agricultural supply dealer. Costs about $ 100 for 2 1/2 gal. 41 % concentrate. Buy smaller quantities at HD.

Reply to
Walter R.

Another thing that works well is corn gluten,

Reply to
John

Yes, use Ortho Grass-B-Gone. It is a selective herbicide. It can be sprayed over your plants without harm to them but it does kill true grasses. Readily available at Wal-Mart, Home Depot and most garden centers/nurseries. There are other brands but Ortho is most commonly found. Initially Ortho had an extensive list of exceptions where it should not be used but they seem to have dropped most of those exceptions. Read the label for usage instructions.

I would like to get rid of a great deal of grass that is growing amongst my shrubs and plants outdoors. Is there a product (chemical) that I can use to kill the grass without damaging the greenery I wish to keep?

Please advise.

Thanks,

John

Reply to
nonews

Reply to
Bob Bowles

Google has plenty of info. Just sprinkle it on by hand. I used it on my asparagus patch one year and it worked fine.

Reply to
William W. Plummer

Pull out what you can, cover beds with 3-4" mulch, like shredded cypress.

Reply to
Norminn

I use Roundup. If you need to get real close to the shrubs, I use a rubber chem glove, and then take one of those fuzzy white work gloves, soak it with the roundup, put it over the chem glove and rub it on the weeds and grass you want to eliminate. Of course you can use cardboard or plastic as a barrier so you don't get any on the shrubs. Then use something like Preen or another preemergent in the area to stop further growth.

Reply to
GFRfan

If I have a tough weed in healthy grass or too close to plants to spray, I use a cheap paint brush with Roundup. Great for really nasty, stubborn stuff like asparagus vine and dandylions. :o) Folks in Floria like to plant invasive houseplants in the landscape so's they cover the planet.

Reply to
Norminn