temp blocking of drip for soldering

I have to sweat some copper pipes but the old valves won't turn off completely. Do I have to pay 8 bucks for 6 of those little egg thingies,

4 of which I won't use, to block the drip?

Is there a handy find around the house substitute? I've heard that bread balls will work, is that true?

Thanks

Lenny

Reply to
Leonardo

Haven't tried it, seems like it would if you can be quick...

Why not shut off the house and repair the other cutoffs at the same time?

Reply to
Duane Bozarth

Bread is the standard. I have only needed it a couple of times, but it worked.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

Bread balls are the answer. I have used them many times.

Andy

Reply to
Andy

Appreciate the responses.