sand burrs in my yard

Hi folks, thanks for those who responded to my question about ferns earlier, so I'll ask another question for the group. My yard is a converted field (county moved the road and deeded the land to us.. ;-) originally, most of it came up fine with grass, but each year we get more and more sand burrs taking over and killing the grass. Last year we put a new septic system in, and I planted new grass seed, spent hours daily keeping it all watered (very large area) what little grass germinated, was soon replaced by the sand burrs, worse than ever, making the entire yard unusable ( I like to fly kites out there, and we have our fire pit there also). How can I kill these sand burrs, and still get grass to grow out there? Should I just plant the grass again in the spring and hope it's strong enough to survive whatever I need to do to kill the burrs (which generally come up starting in the middle of summer I guess) Any particular product to use? I can't use a heavy chemical tank sprayer on top of my drain field or it will bust it all up I'm told.. Any Clues?? Again, thanks in advance from a total newbee..

Reply to
Michael Moss

In article , snipped-for-privacy@tds.net says... :) How can I kill these sand burrs, and still get grass to grow out there? :) Should I just plant the grass again in the spring and hope it's strong :) enough to survive whatever I need to do to kill the burrs (which :) generally come up starting in the middle of summer I guess) :) Any particular product to use? I can't use a heavy chemical tank :) sprayer on top of my drain field or it will bust it all up I'm told.. :) Any Clues?? :) Again, thanks in advance from a total newbee.. :) :) The spurs are the seeds of the plant. Regular mowing before they have the chance to go to seed can make a big difference. Applying a pre emergence in the area can also keep last years seed from germinating, usually needing to be done twice a year. Using sod rather than grass seed may help establish a turf quicker too.

Reply to
Lar

Water heavy and use a bagger mower often. Most poor lawns are poor because they don't get enough water and sandspurs grow faster than the grass on less water. Give the lawn plenty of water and the grass grows and the sandspur grows a little taller and mowing takes up the seed in the lawn mower bagger.

Regards,

Hal

Reply to
Hal

Thanks Hal, bagging is not an option, lawn is approx. 200'X 200' and I use an old 1968 cub cadet with no bagger.... I water daily giving each area 1/2 hour to 45 min. of water that I pump out of the lake out front, but as the soil is extremely sandy, it dries within an hour of being totally saturated, I don't have enough time in a day... ;-)

Reply to
Michael Moss

Thanks Lar, just what is a "pre emergence" and where might I get some? I see weed be gone in the local fleet farm store, but that's about it... and would pre emergence prevent me from planting new grass seed?? I looked into sod last year and it's Way out of my budget.. also looked into that new stuff that they spray on with seed, mulch, feed, ect all mixed together, but still way too much money to cover a large field.. Thanks again.

Reply to
Michael Moss