Question about Oleander

I have an Oleander cutting rooted in a pot from my old home that I moved from in 2002. I am looking to plant this in the ground this year and I am wondering what type of light requirements they need? I was looking at a perfect spot but I think it only gets a few hours morning sun and then the rest of the day is shaded. Can anyone help?

Reply to
Bunny McElwee

I did simple

search on the keywords: oleander cultivation propagation and came up with the following site out of many:

you have heard of google.

Reply to
MC

The first thing I will tell you is toss it in the trash. Oleander is poisonous to humans. The leaves, the flowers, the bark, the roots. But if you must... plant it in full sun to get flowers, part shade to get leaves.

Reply to
Ricky

(sigh) Not this crap again.

Yes, it is toxic. But in order to ingest a toxic level, you have to eat a LOT of it. And from what I hear, oleander tastes extremely bitter and nasty. So I challenge you to produce a credible news story that shows oleander is the dangerous menace to humanity that you claim it is.

Reply to
Ben Hiel

"Ben Hiel" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@corp.supernews.com:

Here's one:

it could be a cover up for gangland execution by [insert dangerous stereotype] mafia

Here's what the silly people at NIH have to say:

Medical Encyclopedia. Oleander (Nerium oleander) is a common ornamental evergreen shrub. It is used as a freeway median divider in warmer states, such as California. This plant is extremely toxic, and a single leaf may kill an adult.

Maybe you should try chewing a couple of leaves and let us know (or not) how it goes.

Reply to
Salty Thumb

There are over 5 billion people in the world, and you were able to produce a whopping 2 people who died from ingesting oleander in recent years. Notice that they didn't die an instant after touching an oleander leaf - they died after repeatedly ingesting oleander over a period of days. This hardly represents a dangerous health menace to humanity.

Millions of people have oleander in close proximity to their their homes and somehow they manage to stay alive. Meanwhile, people who live in fear of the Dreaded Oleander unknowingly have yards filled with DEADLY TOXIC PLANTS READY TO KILL. Hydrangea is toxic. Poinsettia is toxic. English ivy is toxic. Caladium is toxic. Foxglove is toxic. Philodendron is toxic. So are azaleas and rhododendrons.

in fear from the lovely philodendron - it's a killer!

Somehow, human beings have existed with these plants for thousands of years. Should people be fearful of these plants like you fear the Dreaded Oleander?

Maybe you should try getting a grasp of the genuine health dangers you should be concerned with.

Reply to
Ben Hiel

"Ben Hiel" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@corp.supernews.com:

You asked for a credible news story. I gave you one. Did you want it notarized by the Pope or your local Rabbi? Currently, you are the only person characterizing oleander as a weapon of mass destruction. The original replier said it was poisonous. Are you disputing that? The best you can offer is third hand knowledge of what it might taste like.

I'm more afraid of becoming one of those people who make unwarranted characterizations. Like yourself. You can turn the soap opera music off now.

Maybe you should let people decide for themselves what that they are wont to do. And save the drama for somebody who might be impressed.

Reply to
Salty Thumb

if they indeed did eat it willingly. So much so that there was a thick layer in their stomachs and much of the material was digested in their intestines.

"It usually takes a massive amount of the plant to cause death, and most people, particularly children, simply could not eat that much because the leaves are so bitter, experts said."

Reply to
Ben Hiel

Sorry but there is no way any of us can give it more light.

Reply to
Cereus-validus

You are one crazy mofo crackpot, Ben Him.

Why don't you make yourself a cup of oleander tea and tell us how good it was. That is, if you are alive long enough to get back to your 'puter!!

Oleander aren't toxic to grow but they are deadly if any part of the plant is ingested. There are just too many reports of people dying after ingesting leaves or sap to take the problem of toxicity lightly.

> "It usually takes a massive amount of the plant to cause death, and most > people,

Reply to
Cereus-validus

Projection noted.

Why don't you go make yourself a shit sandwich?

How many are "too many"? Millions of homeowners have oleander growing in their yards and gardens and you oleander-fearing kooks were able to produce precisely TWO victims - and those two died under very mysterious circumstances. Meanwhile, there are dozens of other toxic plants surrounding our homes, yet only oleander is the victim of your paranoia.

People who live in morbid fear of oleander need to get a grip. Perspective is needed - fearing oleander is about as baseless as fearing death from being hit by a meteorite. There are far bigger risks laying around the house than oleander.

Ben Hiel

The operative word is ONE. Out of millions of yards and gardens with oleander, you were able to produce precisely ONE incident - and this incident occured after eating a lot of it over a period of days. It also sounds very suspicious to me. If anyone knows what the outcome of the criminal investigation was I would like to read it.

From another news story about these two deaths:

----------------------------------------- "Normal children don't go out and eat oleander," said Dr. Richard Clark, a medical toxicologist and executive director of the California Poison Control Center. And even if they did, Clark added, they would either gag on the bitter plant or vomit it.

"There is not a single other case in the American literature that I know of of people eating oleander leaves and dying," he said.

Did you want it

What I am disputing is his advice: "The first thing I will tell you is toss it in the trash." If you like oleander but hear the paranoid fables (like the infamous hot dog skewer urban legend), his advice is stupid.

Should people be fearful of these other toxic plants like some fear the Dreaded Oleander?

Maybe you should admit that the fear of oleander is vastly overblown, and allow people with a reasonable view of risk to explain why.

Reply to
Ben Hiel

1982 Contra costa County, California. A 96 YO woman died after eating oleander, apparently a suicide.

from "Poisonous Plants of California" ISBN 0-520-05569-1

Reply to
Charles

"Ben Hiel" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@corp.supernews.com:

tsk tsk, why don't you quantify exactly how many death accounts will be sufficent to warrant your scrutiny? You asked for 'a' news story, that's what you got. Guess how many I looked for before I stopped?

Obviously normal children of rich hoity-toity bureaucrats don't eat oleander, but for all we know, the dead kids could have been your long lost cousins trying to impress their new American friends by showing them how non-toxic oleander is.

So impress us and have a bite and confirm what you've so faithfully reported. If it's spitable, you'll have made a case. If it's not, the world will have lost a great genius. And don't pick one of those crap herbal plants, get one that's been in full sun and brushed by dogs. Give a leaf to a loved one as well, in case you've become resistant due to repeated exposure.

Some people like their house immaculate, others don't mind a mess or two. Some people can eat peanuts, others get anaphylaxis and die.

btw, what did he say after giving the advice you just quoted? Was that the advice of a fearful oleander lunatic?

If the plants you listed are as toxic or more toxic than oleander, then "I challenge you to produce a credible news story that shows" has commensurate or greater toxicity than the already low (by your standard) oleander. You have a 5 billion people to work with. And you won't mind if I leave out foxglove as one of the choices. In case you have the wherewithal to find one, then I change my mind, show me *13* dead people. Don't worry, I won't hold my breathe.

Maybe you should realize I'm not the least bit afraid of oleander and that people with reasonable views don't generally start their arguments with the phrase "(sigh) Not this crap again."

Reply to
Salty Thumb

yes, they are deadly.

Reply to