Oleander Question

I have cuttings from an Oleander that I put in water, and now they have rooted. The cuttings are about 12" long, and the roots are about 6" in clear water. I live in the desert, so, can I just plant them now? Do I have to put them in potting soil, or just keep them watered well until established?

TIA

Reply to
Simpledog

I'd put'm in potting soil and move them slowly out to the sun, and then once they are doing good transfer them ( in cooler fall ) to normal soil. Or you could use a paper pot to put them in and when they've adjusted, put pot and all into the garden.

High Mojave Desert.

Reply to
starlord

I have found that when you root a cutting in water that the hardest thing is moving it into compost/soil/dirt.

I have found the best thing is to have a little dry peat, and dust the roots with this first, so that each root is coated and they are not hanging as one thick strand, it is then easier to get the roots to go into the pot separately, this makes the move from water easier and less stressful for the young plant. When the roots have filled the pot then either pot on or plant out, and at all stages water well, but don't over water.

Reply to
David Hill

I have to agree. When plants are rooted in water, the mere act of potting them damages the roots.

Now that the cuttings are rooted, I would pot them first and keep them sheltered. Use 1/2 peat moss and 1/2 clean, coarse sand. This mix drains well, readily admits air, wets easily, and makes moisture available to roots until it is almost bone dry. (See my .)

DO NOT FEED until you see that the potted cuttings are indeed surviving. Fertilizer will only further traumatize the bruised roots. Wait at least 2-3 weeks after potting before feeding. Cuttings that survive but are not vigorous should not be fed until they start to thrive.

After about 6 weeks, tip a cutting out of its pot. If the soil is filled with roots, you may plant it in your garden. If not, carefully return the plant to the pot and wait another 6 weeks.

Reply to
David Ross