riding mower question

Got a guy who's trying to give me a 12hp riding mower. He says it mows great and runs good. Smokes a little on startup.

What am I likely facing here? Seems I recall dimly that smoking on startup can mean rings worn and/or valve guides. Chances are I can mow quite some time with it before I have to do anything. Just curious.

Reply to
RB

Gees- the price is right- I'd go for it. You can always haul it to the dump if it does not work out.

Yes, I agree. I bought one once with a thrown rod and was able to repair it for under $100. So even if yours goes 'south', it should be repairable.

I had a 10 HP Snapper 'High-Vac' that smoked a little, but really cut great. It had the variable speed control and would even suck up wet leaves (great for our Puget Sound weather). I just kept the fluids full and the blade sharp.

Larry Wager

Truly unique creations for Home and Yard

Reply to
Larry