Lawn weeds and new lawn

Hi
I had a query which I hope you can help with.
I am based in London, UK with a south facing garden approximatel
80sqm.
The lawn has been established for many years but has become overru
with clover. Approximately 80% of the area is covered with whit
clover. I have attempted to use a herbicide containing 2,4-D an
Mecoprop which has succeeded in killing the clover flowers and leaves
The actual roots and stems of the clover remain and do not seem to hav
been affected by the herbicide. Therefore, these have to be dug ou
manually. However, due to the amount that exists this seems to b
unfeasible.
Are there any other treatments you could suggest?
Alternatively, if I were to re-lay the lawn with new turf, how would
go about this?
Would it be best to use a herbicide that would kill all grass and weed
and turnover the soil? Are there any you can suggest? Before laying ne
turf, would new top soil be needed?
Or should i dig and remove the turf as it is at the moment so that onl
soil remains and then lay new turf?
Any help is much appreciated.
Many thank
--