Bad lawn

First time on the forum and no idea about gardening.....my front lawn is
in a really bad state. The lawn is low down in the garden and i wish to
raise the level of it up. If I put 200mm of top soil on top of the
existing lawn with an intention to re-turf afterwards would the lawn
underneath grow through or would I have to remove the old existing turf
beforehand?
Reply to
brian stanton
You could spray it with something like Roundup a week or so before putting in the new soil to kill the old stuff.
Reply to
Ralph Mowery
I mentioned Roundup. For that to kill off the old stuff, it takes a week or two as far as I understand it, it does not really kill off the stuff, but prevents it from absorbing something the grass needs to grow, so it will take a while for it to be effictive. There may be some other chemicals that you may want to look into. I don't know what is out that will kill off everything fast.
Reply to
Ralph Mowery
...using herbicide...
better yet, go out and get cardboard for free and put it down. one or two layers with a few holes here or there for water to get through. then put the dirt on top.
songbird
Reply to
songbird
it takes sunshine and good growing conditions to get the weed killer down into the roots. sometimes takes more than one application.
smothering with cardboard will work better without using any poisons.
by the time the weeds and grasses underneath are dead the worms will break down the cardboard and the lawn on top will be established.
songbird
Reply to
songbird
He doesn't need to apply Roundup or cardboard. He said he's putting down 200mm of soil. That's 8" and existing grass, weeds, etc on the lawn aren't going to grow through that.
Reply to
trader4

Site Timeline Threads