Will grass push through top soil

Hi Guys,
For the last couple years, I've spent a lot of time on my lawn getting
it to what I think it pretty decent. We had some building work done over
winter and as much as I tried to protect it, some areas got a little too
much traffic.
I bought in a bulk bag of Baileys of Norfolk 'Turf Renovation Mix' -
basically a sandy top dressing. Aerated the lawn and raked and cut it
last week. I then went about spreading and brushing in the top dressing.
Overseeded it and raked this in. Although I do have a lot of the
established grass tips showing through the top dressing, in some areas,
particularly the lower spots, it has covered much of the grass.
My question is: Will a good established dwarf creeping rye grass, which
was sold as a hard waring type push through a thin top dressing?
I hope so?
Thanks
Mac
Reply to
macadonald
if it isn't buried too deeply it should be ok. also if the surrounding grass is ok and the area is small then it will fill in from the sides even if it does get smothered.
the only real problem is that gaps like this are invitations to blowing weed seeds to get established.
next time, go thinner on the application and do multiple applications as the grass gets growing.
this is pretty much the best approach for applying compost also, a thin layer on top spread out and then as it disappears add more if needed.
if you just recently did this you can go out and rake away some of the extra on top in the areas that look thick enough to smother and then it should be ok. give it a good watering if there hasn't been enough rain.
songbird
Reply to
songbird
It depends on your definition of "thin". If thin is 1/4", then yes. If thin is 1", then no.
Reply to
trader4
yes, indeed, 1" of compost or grass clippings at a time is overdoing it. 1/4" to 1/2" is what i've most seen recommended.
thanks for clarifying.
songbird
Reply to
songbird
Depends on the grass type. It's common around here for nutsedge (a grass looking weed common in some lawns) to push thru 1" of paved asphalt.
Reply to
Red
Most people don't sow nutsedge:
"My question is: Will a good established dwarf creeping rye grass, which was sold as a hard waring type push through a thin top dressing?"
Reply to
trader4

Site Timeline Threads