Grass through gravel

Has anyone got a answer to grass coming through gravel

Reply to
Livey

Paraquat

Reply to
newshound

Have you tailored your reply to the date of the OP's query? Was that by any chance pre-2007 when the sale of paraquat was banned in the UK? (I have all HOH posts killfiled, so don't see them, but I still see the replies :-( I wish more people killfiled them!)

Reply to
Chris Hogg

I meant glyphosate.

But Paraquat would do :-)

Reply to
newshound

Flame thrower? Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff (Sofa

I'm down to the dregs of my diquat, yes naughty-naughty it should have been used or disposed 18 months ago ...

Reply to
Andy Burns

I fear that grass through paving cracks and gravel is going to be a continuous problem so in this case it is academic if it all started in Home bodgers club. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff (Sofa

I'm presently using Bayer path and drive weedkiller.

only gets 3-star reviews, but it seems to work. Haven't checked what the 'killer ingredient' is.

Reply to
Ian Jackson

Time to revert to concrete paths and drives and not this silly block paving nonsense that only looks nice for a few months after it is done.

At least you can go out and scrub down well-laid concrete with a bucket of water with lots of added bleach and detergent

Andrew

Reply to
Andrew

I must admit that my blowlamp works quite well - turned up to 4 barg supply pressure, 110 kW will get rid of *BIG* weeds, *FAST* :)

Reply to
Steve Walker

Yebbut it only cooks and kills the foliage. Deep-rooted weeds such as dandelions and docks just sprout again.

Reply to
Chris Hogg

How do you manage to killfile them? I use Agent for usenet but that only looks at the title and From. I thought Thunderbird would be the answer as that has customisable header blocking and all HOH posts include one unique header, but it didn't work.

Reply to
Dave W

Spray with good weedkiller (containing glyphosate) - you will need a sprayer dedicated to this task, and labelled using a big thick indelible pen as "Weedkiller only". Dilute as instructed on the bottle.

Wait 2-3 weeks.

When it's all dead and wispy, rake the gravel back and forth, and pick up what you can (for tidiness). Most will just disappear with the weather.

Repeat every month or so (in spring/summer): keep on top of them (the weeds).

J.

Reply to
Another John

Using thunderbird, I filter on

"from: ends with @diybanter.com" OR "organisation: contains NewsgroupDirect"

the second clause may cause some collateral damage, other than banter groups, so check results by e.g. tagging messages rather than nuking them for a few days, then change action to nuke later if all ok.

you probably need to add the "organisation:" field as a custom header.

Reply to
Andy Burns

basically just glyphosate with some rendered animal fat (to help with "wetting"?)

Reply to
Andy Burns

Reply to
John J

I think @diybanter.com comes from replies to HOH. The "organisation" line didn't work for me.

Reply to
Dave W

Probably needs to be spelt with a 'z'

Reply to
Andy Burns

A lot of mine I just pull up. Weeding a drive is not a massive job.

I have spent longer shovelling te drive up , sieving it and putting it down again - its amazing how much soil gets in there.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

2007, wow! I wonder if that's a record for answering old posts. :)
Reply to
Pamela