Private dentist?

I was well due a routine trip to the dentist, then last/this year happened so so it stayed on the back burner. Apparently i've been sacked off from receiving NHS help there now.

So my options are to pay to be seen privately or try to find another NHS one. (Or after looking at their prices find a cheaper private one)

I've just looked on their website and it would appear the appointment times are longer privately, I did always feel like the fekker couldn't get me out of the room quickly enough, it would be nice to get my questions answered without him ushering me out of the door.

The cost of a check up isn't too bad but any treatment is exorbitant (100-200 quid for a filling for example)

Just wondering what others have done in this situation, stumped up or gone elsewhere.

Or is anyone DIY dentisting? :)

Reply to
R D S

I have pulled most of my teeth out now and only have 2 remaining...always thought dentistry a ripoff.

Reply to
jon

about the only things you get "cheap" under NHS dentistry are checkups and extractions, surely most people here would pay to have white fillings or crowns?

Reply to
Andy Burns

The well-known model engineer "Curly" Lawrence famously extracted her own teeth using workshop tools. So it can be done...

Reply to
Bert Coules

Yes, but last time either the missus or myself opted to pay for a white filling it was £50, currently it's £1-200 depending on time taken.

Although ideally I suppose they should be few and far between.

Reply to
R D S

Don't you miss them?

Reply to
R D S

Our dentist went private - except for kids - a few years ago. We now pay a monthly subscription which gets us 2 checkups and 2 hygienist sessions each year, plus a discount on fillings etc. Not cheap though!

Reply to
Roger Mills

Private dentist and cheap aren't words that fit in the same sentence;!....

Reply to
tony sayer

But if they refused to even do check-ups on NHS, I wouldn't give them any private work, go elsewhere, thankfully round here NHS dentists aren't difficult to find.

Reply to
Andy Burns

Only for cosmetic effects, but do have dentures for smiling.

Reply to
jon

Part of it comes down to if the current dentist is good and your trust them / want to stay with them.

Many years ago, having found a really good dentist, he made the decision that he could not face the paperwork of NHS work any more and decided to go private only. I stayed, and did not regret it. He retired 20 years ago, and the replacement has also been very good.

The NHS pay fixed amounts for each type of treatment, and it does not leave any wriggle room for time or anything but the basic materials. Hence they have to get lots of jobs through per hour to generate enough revenue.

How often do you actually need a filling etc?

I generally I haven't needed any treatment beyond a check up and a scale and polish, which comes in at about £65 IIRC. In the last 20 years I have probably only paid for a filling to be renewed once (can't remember the price - it was over £100, but less than £200.

Nope, can't say I have fancied that!

Reply to
John Rumm

This is what i'm thinking, Long term cost wise, probably the least of my worries.

Now don't get me started on vets, i've just tipped up the neck end of £1500 for a few hours work there :(

Reply to
R D S

Ah, I take it they aren't costly?

There's a guy down the road from us manufactures them.

Reply to
R D S

Mine too. Insurance backed. 2 checkups/clean, one X ray. I'm not clear what the insurance bit covers but I guess damage to anything visible. The hygienist is extra so I skip that! Now around £240/year but based in Harpenden!

Reply to
Tim Lamb

That doesn't seem exorbitant to me. But I go to a dentist in the City where rent and rates are high:

if you want another benchmark.

Stumped up. I could get treatment much cheaper locally now I'm retired but I've looked at their qualifications and premises and decided that I'd rather pay for a better service. But then I've needed a lot of treatment (the cost of neglect when young) and would rather keep my teeth and let him have the new car :)

Reply to
Robin

About 15 years ago, for a while, we could not get registered with any NHS dentist after ours went private.

We found private treatment to be expensive (over £900 for a root canal and crown), but much better than NHS. Instead of an appointment for the root canal and a temporary filling, a return for the final filling and preparation and another return for the crown, they'd do the root canal, fill, prepare the tooth, scan it, adjust on their computer and then you went back to the waiting room. After an hour, the machine upstairs had milled a crown and you were called back in for fitting. One afternoon off work for the whole thing.

Reply to
Steve Walker

Is this exorbitant? I'm sure you would think nothing if the garage charged to £100 for a repair or a new tyre, so why should you expect personal healthcare on the cheap? To my mind, my health is more important than my car.

Reply to
Scott

Last time I had a filling it took about 3 minutes.

If I had a 3 minute puncture repair and the garage wanted £100 i'd be outraged, yes.

Reply to
R D S

What was the total duration of the dental appointment? How much would you expect to pay for a consultation with a solicitor, as a matter of interest?

Reply to
Scott

Filling it, £5 Knowing how to fill it and having all the machinery, £95.

Owain

Reply to
Owain Lastname