How to rid house of ants?

Recently we have had a rash of ants in our house. We have a two story house, about 2400 sq feet. The ants are in the kitchen and laundry room at one end of the 1st floor, and in the bathroom at the other end of the house , on the 2nd floor. So, I am not sure if some sort of "spot" treatment will help.

Do I need perimeter spraying , on the outside of the house , or should I be thinking more of spot , inside spraying just in the areas where we see the ants ??

Any ideas would be appreciated !!

--james--

Reply to
James Nipper

FWIW, last year I had some ants getting into my house, and neither spraying where they were getting in inside, or outside along the wall, discouraged them for more than a week or so. But pouring several pots of boiling water on the large ant nest in the back yard got rid of them for good. :-) No poisonous chemicals if you have pets, too.

-Sandra

Reply to
Sandra Loosemore

Reply to
My Name

The herb tansy can be used as an ant repellant.

Bill

My Name wrote:

Reply to
Bill

Use a Boric Acid/sugar solution.

Mix 1/2 to 3/4 cup sugar

4 table spoons of granular boric acid In 1 quart of water. Mix well

Soak balls of cotton (about 1.5 inches in diameter) in the mixture.

Allow the balls to dry then place them in places you know the ants travel. I sometimes place them in small plastic containers with holes punched in them so the ant can get in. This treatment takes a few days. In about 3 weeks no more ants. The ants eat the poisoned sugar and take it back to the nest. Sometimes this technique lasts for several years.

JEM

Reply to
Jim Marrs

I must say this technique worked in about 3 days for me. Had ants coming into the kitchen and all over the counter tops.

Colt

Reply to
Colt Steele