thanks (was: I've killed my lawn - what's next?)

Hey all, Thanks a bunch to all who provided suggestions on my previous post. I basically dethatched, left most of the dead grass there as Chet suggested, put down some lime & fertilizer, seeded with a slice-seeder (rye grass), and covered with straw. It's a week later and I actually have a green lawn!

About how long should I wait before:

  1. applying more starter fertilizer?
  2. mowing (some of the seedlings are already 3-4 inches)?

Anything else I need to do at this point other than keep the ground moist? Again, thanks to all who helped!

W.D.

Reply to
W.D.

I'd mow it when it gets to 4 inchs, cutting it back to 3. Removing part of the blade sends a message to the grass to grow faster and spread out by removing a hormone that grows in the blades. At about

4 weeks, I'd follow up with either a std or fall type fertilizer, as by then most of the nitrogen from the starter fertilizer will be gone.
Reply to
Chet Hayes