BIG Lawnmower problem HELP!

Hello everybody,

First of all I need to say that I'm a complete idiot and ver embarrassed!

Yesterday I bought my first petrol lawnmower and in the rush to get i working and the lawn mowed while it was still light I poured my 4 stok oil in the fuel tank :0(

This morning I going to tip the mower upside down and drain the oi out. Can anyone give any advice on how I could flush out the tank a bi more thoroughly? I'm concerned that a layer of oil will cling to th tank walls and contaminate any unleaded fuel that I put in from no on. I'm guessing that trying to flush it out with a hose is going to be fruitless task as water doesn't shift oil at the best of times!

Any help or advice would be much appreciated!!!!!!!

Br,

Mar

-- MarkHill

Reply to
MarkHill

It sounds like you didn't actually start it and run it, which is good. If you can find the carb bowl, often they have a drain fitting, like a small bolt on the bottom which can be used to drain the remaining fuel before storage, etc. You could use that to get the fuel in the bowl out. The manual may also talk about how to drain the carb. The tiny amount of any oil left in the empty tank isn't enough to cause any problems.

If not, I'd just refill the tank with gas and start it up and run it. It might smoke a bit, but whatever 2 stroke gas is left will burn out in a few minutes. After that, if it doesn't run OK, I'd remove and replace the spark plug, which could be fouled. Other than that, you should be OK.

Reply to
trader4

4 stroke oil won't hurt it. Just dump all the oil out and fill it with gas. You could half fill it with kerosene, swish it around and dump that out then fill it with gas. mut the flush is not necessary. If there was SOME gas in it before you dumped in the oil not much of it probably got into the carburetor. Start it and run out a tank of gas, may smoke some especially at first. After you burn out the first tank it will be fine. I'm assuming you don't have a catalytic converter on it.
Reply to
"Blattus Slafaly £ ¥ 0/00 :)"

Thanks for the advice!

I've spoken to a couple of people today who have said to put a littl unleaded fuel in the tank, give it a shake around and then drain i again. The fuel should remove some of the remaining oil.

I was just going to do that but I'll try looking for tap to drain th carb first

Cheers

-- MarkHill

Reply to
MarkHill

There has to be 2 different approaches - one for a big lawnmower and one for a small one. For a small mower the whole machine can be tipped over and the oil drained out. For a big lawnmower (which you stated you have, it would be easier to just pull the gas line off the bottom of the tank and drain it that way.

Reply to
Srgnt Billko