ants everywhere

I have probably over 100 anthills in my yard. Some are huge (2-3') across and low but most are about 2-4" across and 1-2" high. The ants I've seen are small and redish. But when I lay down in the grass for a few minutes I have several large black ones on me. This is starting to get annoying and the large ones are making bare patches in the lawn. What can I do. That seems to be a lot of chemicals to throw down (dog and kids) but I have to do something. What do you suggest? TIA

Dave

Reply to
Dave

Maybe if you captured a few of the little buggers & took them to a pest control co. they could identify them for you.

Reply to
Patch

"Yup, them's ants!"

:-P

tom

junkmail01

Doug G

Or find some Oftanol 5g.

Reply to
Steveo

The anthills you describe sound like fire ants. Fire ants are generally found only in the south, so if you live up north you probably have something else. If you live down south, it's fairly easy to identify fire ants. Just rake your shoe across their mound. If after just a second or two millions of them swarm all around the mound, you probably have fire ants. Control is pretty easy because their is a number of products which work very well which can be watered into the mound and not affect pets.

The key is to identify the type of ants you have, then you can design a control for them. Many ant types respond well to various baits and they make bait stations which are designed for outdoors which are very pet friendly.

Reply to
RoyDMercer