AL-KO 1100 garden shredder problem (2024 Update)

My 30yr old shredder has never before given trouble. Now it starts well but after 7-10 seconds cuts out. I have had the capacitor tested - OK. What might be the problem

Reply to
Mark McElroy
Re: AL-KO 1100 garden shredder problem open original PDF

We've got the manual for the shredder here, attached.

You can also do some further troubleshooting steps as follows:

  1. Disconnect from power supply: Ensure that the shredder is totally disconnected from the power supply.
  2. Use an Ohmmeter: Using an Ohmmeter, connect the meter's two test leads across the power plug's two pins.
  3. Check the reading: When you operate the start button on the shredder, the meter should display a reading.
  4. Verify proper setup: If there is no reading on the meter, ensure that you have set up the meter properly to read Ohms.

So in conclusion, the suggested troubleshooting steps involve disconnecting the shredder from the power supply, using an Ohmmeter to test the power supply, and checking the reading on the meter to ensure proper setup.

Reply to
HomeOwnersHub Advisor

My 20+ year old AL-KO H1100s started, sped up but cut out after a few seconds. My electrician neighbour found the two wires from the CHOKE had lost the plastic coating in several places potentially shorting and causing the trip out perhaps. He has replaced the 2 cables and spades and I've ordered a replacement choke just incase. Fingers crossed the repair will prove successful. I imagine others may find this helpful especially ref the degraded wiring he showed me!!!

Reply to
Easi28

Sadly, that was NOT the problem and the motor still cuts out after a few seconds. Back to the drawing board!

Reply to
Easi28