Latest threads in Backyard Gardenersshow only best voted threads

Subject Author Posted Replies

Maple Trees vs. Sidewalk - how to make the trees win?
Hi everyone, just started reading this site, lots of great advice (I loved the Salted Lawn thread - sorry you had to go through that John but hope your lawn's doing better!) We have two lovely old...
7
7

Need help about my rider mower
I have a 10-year old rider mower with a 18HP Briggs engine. The way it behaves mystifies me, and I wonder if anyone can suggest what is going on. First of all. the original battery refused to start...
12
12

Lawnmower with Bermuda Grass Difficulties
Hi everyone, I would like to consult you on a Bermuda Grass lawnmower problem. I find that in our subtropical climate, Bermuda grass which is inactive in winter grows like mad in summer, up to 2...
1
1

Lawnking walk behind self propelled problem
Hi All, I have a four year old lawnking walk behind self propelled mower .All was well until about a month ago when operating the drive lever on the handle the rear wheels would only jerk...
3
3

Stabil
I notice Stabil is now marketing a blend primarily for marine engines. I thought it was a gas treatment and I never saw gas differentiated between land and marine useage. Whats up? Red
2
2

Pre-emergence herbicide
I'm fighting a bad poa annua problem. The best advice I've found is preemergence application in late summer-early fall. Since this crappy weed/grass germinates in the fall but doesn't show growth...
1
1

Propane-powered Mosquito Traps: What's the deal? Do they work?
I remember seeing these propane-powered mosquito traps at local big-box hardware stores a few years ago, but I don't think I've seen any of them lately. They retailed for around $300 and up to $450 if...
41
41

2nd year onions
Hello, Earlier this spring when I went to till my garden I found two onions coming up that I must have not seen last fall. Before starting to till I moved them up closer to the house in in a pot I...
1
1

question
Hey Everyone, I have been seeing someone by the name of Smile Champ posting messages about his new Mr. Sifter. Has any one tried it or checked it out? I just wanted an opinion of what everyone else...
3
3

advice about ggp petrol lawnmower
hello there, i have just been given a new ggp italy spa lawn mower, i guess its probably not the best make out there! anyway it don't have any instructions, what im not sure on is the type of oil i...
4
4

Replacing Tires on Riding Mower
My old Sears riding mower needs some new tires. They are 18" x 8.50-8. Are these things really hard to change on the rims? They look like they would be difficult. Would I probably be better off buying...
7
7

Ride on Mower
I bought this machine for our community centre and was very pleased. But with 20 hours on the clock, the belt that drives the three blades snapped. It took nerarly 4 weeks to get it replaced. On...
2
2

What eats the leaves of castor bean plants?
What eats the leaves of castor bean plants? Seems to only happen at night. No bugs seen on the leaves during the day. I thought these plants were toxic. Earwigs maybe?
10
10

Replace existing lawn
Hi, our current lawn is looking a bit tired and the garden needs leveling off. I'm trying to work out if I need to remove the existing lawn or can I just dig the whole lot over, level it out then put...
7
7

New Lawn. Which is the best grass seed?
Hello, I know I might be opening a can of worms here but does anyone have a favourite lawn seed or supplier? I live in Cornwall. I've flattened the end of our garden which had been a dumping ground...
1
1