Latest threads in HVAC Discussionsshow only best voted threads

Subject Author Posted Replies

swamp cooler blows black stuff
I have a new side draft swamp cooler that blows a very fine black substance, almost like a powder, that makes me think the belt is somehow involved. It isn't mold....the pads aren't black, the water...
1
1

Replacing a TRANE high efficiency XB1000???? Help
My ac recently went out on me and I am unsure about replacing it with a used unit for a lower cost, or going ahead and buying a brand new one. I'm selling my house in the next year and was hoping to...

Set filter replacement interval
Honeywell RTH7500. Good thermostat; horrible instructions! The manual states that the interval can be changed but doesn't provide instructions on how to access those settings. Stupid oversight.

[SOLVED] Someone help me please! A/C questions
Yesterday, the actual temperature got to 110 degrees F. and my 6year old a/c decided to go on the blink. First, I changed the filters, they were a little past due. Then, I checked the thermostat, and...
28
28

Heat Pump stops while cooling (before reaching temp set on thermostat)
My father-inlaw (82) has a heat pump that is behaving badly. If I pull the power, and replace it, after a few minutes, the unit will start to cool. It will run, sometimes for a good amount of time,...
3
3

Hot downstairs help
Hello All, Trying to get some advice regarding an area of my home that gets hot. I live in two story home and just had both HVAC systems replaced. Have two stage systems on both. One is 3 ton that is...

Air conditioner indoor fan won't shut off
Air conditioner indoor fan won't shut off unless I use the circuit breaker. Can anyone let me know how can I fix this issue?
2
2

New HVAC issue
Hi all, Thanks for your advice in advance. I bought a condo in February this year. New HVAC system installed in December 2017. Goodman 2 ton with a compressor on the roof. First day of needing the AC...

Two bedroom return vents got covered during renovation. Is it critical that I open them back up?
New home owner here. We had the first floor renovated before we moved in, and had new sheet rock put up everywhere. I noticed after we moved in that the return vents in each of the two bedrooms were...
6
6

Furnace makes an electrical noise/hum even though the thermostat is set to OFF. Normal?
First time home owner here. The house has an American Standard Freedom 80 natural gas forced air furnace, I believe the unit is a 2016. I noticed lately, since I've turned the thermostat to the OFF...
2
2

4 wire duel inlet 230v
i have a blower 230v 4 wire 60 hrz 3120rpm that i am wanting to use but not sure about the wiring. it has 4 wires yellow, blue, red, green. i have two of them but i cant find any info about them even...

Remove hot air from sloped ceiling to attic with exhaust fan
I have what I think is an unusual setup of a sloped ceiling that may offer an easy fix to my problem, but wanted to get some opinions from you guys. Our master bedroom, on the 2nd floor (top floor),...

What physically happens that a chest freezer is very slow to start?
We have several older Kenmore chest type freezers. We fill and empty them and will shut them off for a month or two, then restart them. when powered up, you can hear that power has been applied to the...

trane x80 control board
I had preventive maintenance done on my gas furnace. Noticed the control board had a brown spot. Is this something the tech could have cause or does it appear as a normal failure. The reason for...
1
1

Inducer motor needs to be replaced?
Elderly mother had her furnace inspected by company that originally installed furnace 16 years ago. Serviceman/technician stated to her that "the inducer motor is working but you might want to replace...
1
1