swamp cooler blows black stuff

I have a new side draft swamp cooler that blows a very fine black substance, almost like a powder, that makes me think the belt is somehow involved. It isn't mold....the pads aren't black, the water is clean and clear and there is no musty smell. There's no burning or hot smell either. I started using filters to catch the black stuff and I have to replace them every 4-5 days as they become completely black. What could be causing this?

Reply to
GinnyJ

replying to GinnyJ, Raquel wrote: Mine has been doing the same. Have you figured out what?s causing it?

Reply to
Raquel

We are experiencing this as well. The belt is burning up due to an angular misalignment of the pulleys. The champion 3000 SD cooler only has adjustment for belt tension, and not motor shaft angle. Use a straightedge, it should contact the flywheel and the motor sheiv at 4 Points to indicate alignment.

I have resorted to modifying my cooler to get it to work as it was outside of return policy at Home Depot. Best of luck to you.

Reply to
Justin

I don't understand about the straight edge, can you tell me about it?

I don't understand about the straight edge, can you tell me about it?

Reply to
Diamond mind