Wiring an old Westinghouse Gas Furnace

Hi guys, I'm working as a maintenance man for a property management company that owns a complex with 200 units that were built and formerly owned by the government for GI off-base housing around the 50's. These units came with Bryants, but over the years some have been replaced with Ducanes, Comfortherms, Tranes, and 1 old westinghouse. It has a fairly new standing pilot gas valve, but the interior wiring was burnt because the heat shield was not replaced. The apartment has remained vacant for a number of years until now. It's now my job the renovate these apartments, including the appliances (stove, oven, water heater, and the furnace and AC units). I'm getting my CFC certification this month and hope to get into a HVAC program soon so I can toubleshoot and fix these old relics, but until then, without the proper training it's not exactly easy. I'm figuring them out as I go along, but this old Westinghouse has got me stumped - and its the only one on the property, so I've none to copy. Does anybody here have a wiring schematic for a furnace of this vintage that I can have for reference? I'd be very thankful. Curt

Reply to
crpav1

Google is your friend. FWIW, a westinghouse gas furnace is elegible for social security. If the wiring got burnt, like you say, then you have a lot bigger problems with it. It needs to be replaced.

Reply to
Steve

wrote in message news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com...

[...]

Replace that old piece of shit.

Reply to
Oscar_Lives

Hi again, Thank you all for the reponses. As you might have guessed, my boss is so tight he squeaks when he walks. I've made such a stink about the age, inefficiency, and above all safety problems that I've been moved elsewhere within the company as of yesterday. I hate putting these relics back in service knowing what potential castastrophe awaits. I've found limit switches shorted across, squirrel cages so full of dust that they barely function, and even have been told to ignore dime-sized holes in the exchanger. I'm about to report the whole bunch soon if they don't start replacing the units rather than robbing parts from vaccant units. I need this job, but I need to sleep at night, too. BTW, I cleared the flue, and while rewiring every wire found that the fan temp/timer contact wires were burnt through inside the 3/8" flex conduit creating an unseen open. I also fabricated a new flame sheild and screwed it in place. I lit the pilot and she fired right up. I hate to say it, given the situation, but she runs better than many I've worked on. Believe me guys, I know how serious this is, and that as an industry this INFURIATES you guys. I AM moving to correct the problem. Thanks again, Curt

Reply to
crpav1

Perhaps your local building inspector / etc would be sympathetic to doing an inspection of the properties without mentioning your name ?

If 'something goes wrong' and someone gets hurt in one of those units, guess exactly WHO the landlord is going to nominate as 'lion food flavor of the day' ?

'Honest, your Honor, I told him to ALWAYS FIX IT RIGHT and ALWAYS REPORT any units that needed replacing ! I would NEVER keep an old piece of shit in service to save a few bucks ! Just ask my lawyer, he's right here !'

Reply to
.p.jm.

Keep a work log, and work orders on each system... anything that the bos wants done that is not safe, or is illegal, get it in writing to cover your ass. If its not in black and white, it doesn't exist..... especially when it goes to court.

Reply to
Steve