What to do with Gas Canisters

My father left me with two canisters of gas. One is 22 and the other

  1. What are these worth?

I'm assuming I can only sell to a licensed individual, is that correct?

Can 12 still be sold at all? If not, how do I properly get rid of it?

Thanks

Reply to
mdindestin

You have to be licensed and registered with the state and federal govt to even be in possession of these items and to sell them. You are violating many laws. Please ship them prepaid to me immediatly and I will take the proper care and disposal of them for you for free. Thank you, Bubba

Reply to
Bubba

Free? WTF?

Reply to
HVAC

Wow, what a great forum you guys have here.

Reply to
mdindestin

I'm not sure the letter of the law, but you "should" sell to someone who has the proper EPA card. If the tanks are full, it's just a "what the market will bear" thing. I do service some old R-12 units. But, there are few of them up and running. Since R-12 went out of action in 1994.

Yes, both can be sold to anyone with an EPA card. Disposal isn't necessary.

Don't know what to tell you, about pricing. Make some phone calls, and don't take the first offer you get. Where are you, anyway? City and state is enough detail.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

If the factory seal has not been broken, you can probably sell them. If the seal has been broken, then all bets are off. I personally won't buy any refrigerant unless the factory seal is still in place.

Reply to
Steve

Years ago, I was talking to a mechanic. He was describing how when the new recycle law came out, that someone had pumped all the R-12 out of the cars he was servicing, and replaced with new. He wasn't really interested in buying a whole bunch of new DOT approved recovery cylinders so he was using the empty disposacans for the recovered refrigerant. The guy telling me this described "a whole row of" disposacans at the shop, all filled with recovered refrigerant. Probably a load of mineral oil, air, and moisture in there.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

That helps, thanks. I'm in the Northwest Florida area.

Reply to
mdindestin

I'm in NY state, a bit too far to drive for a couple jug of juice. Like I say, make a couple phone calls. Look in the phone book under "air conditioning contractors" or "refrigerators service and repair". I'm guessing if you do choose to sell, you might get $75-200 for the R-22, if it's full. And $100-500 for the R-12. Why the big range? Well, the price of refrigerants is going up and down. And, the demand for refrigerants varies. Some folks don't do R-22 any more (like Steve) and a few people never see R-12 equipment any more.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon