Troubleshooting help for HVAC dummy

I have over 30 years in the industrial electrical field with limited experience troubleshooting HVAC control systems so am acquainted with your craft. Having worked alongside HVAC techs I am familiar with the terminology and theory of operation, but have no practical experience charging a system (essentially when called I determine if it's an electrical problem and that's it).

Home air unit CAC/BDP Product ID HAICJX042000AAAA Mod HAICJ042-A manufactured with 7.63lbs R-22 Hi 300, low 150 from factory, ten years use in Central Florida.

Problem: Evaporator icing; when de-iced AC cooling inadequately. Another problem I'm not concerned with presently is that the reversing coil for the heat pump is stuck in cool (but we hardly ever need to heat, so get by with emergency heat with compressor unit power disconnected).

System status: All ducts open, clear, filter and evaporator coils clean.

Parameters: System start +5min temperature readings- air temp at filter inlet 75 deg, airspace on cool side of evaporator 68 deg outdoor amb @80 deg currently.

Low side pressure 28 psi; High side 175

Diagnosis: refrigerant leak (high side line outside unit exposed and may have been slightly damaged by lawnmower bumping against it).

I have gauges, air flow meter, temperature differential probes, a tif

5600A leak detector (that doesn't currently work and should keep me occupied a while as I repair it), 30lbs of R-22, gas, and my standard electricians tools, all of which I am not afraid to use.

When the leak is found, fixed, and refrigerant is added what should my low and high pressures be?

Reply to
mark.e.major

Who's repairing the leak?

Reply to
<kjpro

Call your local *competent*, licensed, insured, professionally trained, HVAC technician. He/she will correctly balance the refrigerant charge after he/she fixes all your screw ups, and unless that can or refrigerant still has the factory seal on it, expect to pay for the techs refrigerant because there is no guarantee that whats on the inside of your can is whats listed on the outside of your can. Don&#39;t expect any kind of warranty on anything if you have screwed with it.

Reply to
Noon-Air

I undertook this DIY project fully prepared to have a contractor replace the system. In the interest of expanding my understanding of mechanical systems I was going to work on the unit until that appointment could be made. My gratitude to anyone willing to offer technical expertise in answering my questions.

Reply to
mark.e.major

Ok, ok, ok, I&#39;ll answer your question.

The question you previously posted:

"When the leak is found, fixed, and refrigerant is added what should my low and high pressures be?"

Whatever the gauge reads after you have the correctly balanced the charge by using superheat and subcooling procedures.

Now that I&#39;ve answered your question, hop to it and &#39;get-r-done&#39;.

Reply to
<kjpro

snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote

You already know that, with over 30 years in the industrial electrical field, some jobs are not for homeowners. This is one of them. Call a pro.

Reply to
Bob_Loblaw

You can&#39;t charge by know just the pressures. You must know and understand superheat and subcooling. Not something you are going to learn on alt.hvac. Google those and see what you find.

Reply to
Bob Pietrangelo