Sanyo replacement recommendations?

OK, this is becoming a problem quickly, so I need some advice....... We just built a new building last winter and moved in about June. Our computer/telecom room was spec'd out with its own AC unit as I requested.

Our plans originally called fro a sanyo split ductless unit. Kit #

24KHS32, consisting of units KHS2432 & CH2432. Apparently before the building was finished, that unit was no longer available and the "factory replacement" was kit # 24KHS72 which is comprised of units KHS2472 & CH2472.

I knew something was wrong from the day it showed up (the indoor unit was about half the size of what I was expecting). I brought it up to everyone, and was continually told. "Thats the right unit"! I pulled out the plans and said.... "no, it's not". I only later really found out why the units were changed. The unit was installed and after a few problems were fixed (broken fan cage inside) the unit ran great.

Here's the problem: we later found out, the "new" kit doesn't have a low ambient kit. It only works down to 41 degrees. This is a problem in Colorado. As it turns out the old kit did have low-ambient control, but only down to 23 degrees. So really, had we even gotten the original unit, we likely still would have had problems in the coldest months.

My server room was 90 degrees when I came in this morning. I've been trying to get these guys to get me a solution for months now, and everyone is dragging their feet. I need resolution ASAP!

The engineer has now spec'd out a new unit. It is 26KHH72R (KHH2672R & CH2672R). This unit has a low ambient control down to 0. Sounds adequate.

My question is, can anyone else come up with a cheaper/easier solution? I guess basically I was wondering if the current outdoor unit can simply be replaced with a low ambient unit while leaving the indoor unit alone? I hate to tear out the whole thing, but will if need be.

Reply to
Kevin_S
[snip]

Umm, just to ask the obvious... If the outdoor temperature is 40F or lower, can't you get your HVAC folk to design and install an outdoor air feed?

Getting it 3/4 right with a simple diverter should be straightforward for any reasonably competent HVAC outfit.

Getting it 7/8ths right, or better... takes the Good Guys. But even 3/4s is a hell of a lot better than what you're describing.

(My ISP got it about 1/2 right... )

Reply to
danny burstein

Reply to
The Freon Cowboy

Thanks guys.

companies in here to look at it. I am willing to, but can't believe that the only solution is tearing the entire unit off the wall and starting over. Seems this was kind of a comedy of errors from the get go. I don't think the current guys really want to work with us on it. They were hired because they do geothermal, I think they don't much care to do this portion. Unfortunately this room is one of the most important rooms in the building! I can't have my equipment running that hard. Bad things will happen.

Guess I should have had them design a window in there! ;-)

Reply to
Kevin_S

"Thanks guys.

companies in here to look at it. I am willing to, but can't believe that the only solution is tearing the entire unit off the wall and starting over. Seems this was kind of a comedy of errors from the get go. I don't think the current guys really want to work with us on it. They were hired because they do geothermal, I think they don't much care to do this portion. Unfortunately this room is one of the most important rooms in the building! I can't have my equipment running that hard. Bad things will happen.

Guess I should have had them design a window in there! ;-)"

we all know what excess heat does to electronics , a windowshaker would be a quick fix, but you have that pesky low ambient problem again

call around , ask questions , its pretty simple to get this thing to work in colder weather , so i wouldnt go ripping it off the wall just yet really sounds like you just need to pony up a few bucks and get a cycling switch on there , probably be the end all . or the beginning of it anyway . dont know what the prevailing rate is there , but i can tell you if you were in my back yard , id probably do it for a couple of hundred bucks you still didnt answer my question ??????

will it screw with the warranty if you install other than oem parts on this thing ?

and finally what part of co you in ? ive worked all over the western slope,skied up and down the divide and lived in and around denver for eight years,

let us know what you end up doing !!!!!

Kev>Thanks guys.

Reply to
The Freon Cowboy

What's the concern? is the evaporator freezing, or is the unit under sized?

If the evap is freezing, please consider a Honeywell freeze stat (a good HVAC guy can figure out how to wire in a temperature control) to keep the evaporator from freezing.

You mention low ambient controllers, so I suspect you think the evaporator is frosting.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

O.M.F.G !!!!!!

freeze stat is the last th>What's the concern? is the evaporator freezing, or is the unit under sized?

Reply to
The Freon Cowboy

You must like dust all over your computer equipment. I don't.

Reply to
<kjpro

I don&#39;t suspect, I know you&#39;re talking out your ass again!

Reply to
<kjpro

umm, no. Filters are cheap. Good filters aren&#39;t much more expensive.

Running 500 watts of fans is a hell of a lot cheaper than running 5 kw of air conditioning.

Reply to
danny burstein

Lets not forget about humidity issues.

Reply to
<kjpro

I certainly can come up with an easier and faster soulution. Just wire

50K to my paypal account and I&#39;ll get right on it.
Reply to
SuperHeat

I could honestly care less about voiding the warranty. It&#39;s no good to me right now anyways.

Grand Junction

I&#39;ve called a local HVAC company we&#39;ve used in the past. He&#39;s looking into it and gonna call me back.

Reply to
Kevin_S

Reply to
The Freon Cowboy