replacement condenser question

Hi all-

My a/c was working very poorly last week and the technician came out and diagnosed and replaced the condenser fan motor. He said the compressor itself would likely fail soon as it overheated when the fan failed. He said I should replace the unit soon.

Is this correct? how long should I expect the unit to last? The a/c unit itself is only eight years old.

Dave

Reply to
Dave Edwards

Your unit should last about 10 yrs if you service it regularly. This includes filtering the refrigerant every year. You also need to replace the compressor oil and filter every 500 hrs of run time. This will ensure a long life. If you don't, you can only expect about 6 yrs of life from your unit. I hope your tech replaced the prop with the motor replacement? If not, your motor may only last 6 months. You'll need to rotate the sleeve bearings in that motor every 3 years also. Good Luck, Bubba

Reply to
Bubba

did you ask the tech how much $$$ sales commission he was going to receive if you indeed did purchase a new ac unit?

ac units of today are built to last 12-15 years. ac units of yesterday were built to last 25-30 yrs. I service an ac unit that was manufactured & installed in 1967. Last year the condenser fan motor crapped out. On another account theres one with a 1965 serial number. Its condenser fan motor crapped out earlier this year.

Reply to
gofish