home a/c compressor

We have a 5 year old Rheem outisde. The air handler is in the attic. The air is blowing hot. Te compressor tries to turn on, but kicks off, repeatedly. On, off, on, off. So, I turned the system off and turned on some ceiling fans. Any ideas as to what might be causing this problem?

Reply to
havin_aball

Something is broken maybe?

Reply to
Al Moran

Whaddya mean "tries to turn on"? Hums but doesn't start turning? Turns for a while and shuts off?

Most likely cause is a bad start capacitor, an easy repair. But you haven't diagnosed this.

Reply to
Richard J Kinch

As I am currently suffering a similar fate (compressor hums, does not start), what diagnostic procedure would you suggest, before I call the repairman?

Reply to
Grandpa

Probably something that needs to be diagnosed by an A/C technician. Preferably, a qualified one. This sort of thing is impossible to troubleshoot over the Internet.

Reply to
Doofus

Reply to
havin_aball

You're confused. The compressor is the part of the condenser you refer to as turning on and shutting down.

Reply to
Richard J Kinch