reasons for higher repair costs of high-efficiency furnaces ?

This group of experts and Consumer Reports agree that high-efficiency gas furnaces are more expensive to maintain.

Are the additional repair calls a result of: (A) poor design by the manufacturers, or (B) poor installations by contractors, or (C) incompetence of repair techs?

Thanks, H.K.

Reply to
Herbert.Kocks

I'd like to add (D) Could be A-B-C but the real problem is that thehomeowner is not maintaining the equipment and changing or cleaning filters as per owner's manual guidelines.

Well, the cost of maintenance isn't more expensive, it is the cost of repair. If maintained properly, this cost is offset.

There are simply more moving parts that are more advanced. With technology comes greatly greater responsibility. The circuit boards themselves liken to a computer motherboard but the relays and chips are not changeable as they are on some motherboards. The variable speed motor provides great efficiency but they themselves are expensive...but they should last a long time if regular maintenance of furnace is performed, and that furnace is of proper size and application and the company who installed them actually reads the installation and set up instructions. The gas valves are now two staged.

In short, yes, if you have a problem, they cost more. They take more time to troubleshoot and the parts are more expensive to their counter part in an 80% furnace...because they are more advanced. Yes, some manufactures have poor design, but that is designs for servicing not life and performance of the unit (I swear some of these manufactures install razor blades in there).

If proper application, properly sized, properly installed and maintained, the energy savings will offset your repairs.

Reply to
becauseofjunk

You got exactly what you were willing to pay for. Or do you always buy high ticket services/ items with no research?

Reply to
Sid

You gonna sing "We are the world" now?

Reply to
Sid

Change the oil ever? Have the brakes looked at? Higher cost for that maintenance? Some people people "don't believe in maintenance". Personally I like these guys. They stimulate the economy by wearing their stuff out faster.

Reply to
Sid

The sick ass wouldn't have the brains to appreciate a good piece of meat. I think he'd rather smoke Buffalo turds. Way he talks he's been smoking squirrel shit.

Reply to
Sid