Portable A/C

I'm flattered... you didn't insert the adjective "wannabee". Ahma haveta tell the group.... :)

Indeed, soluble oil, but the output is too prodigious even for that (on a maintenance basis), so I basically pour it around the plants/lawn/house.

I tried draining it right into the Fadal resevoir tank, figgered it'd be good as "makeup water", and boy was I surprised to see the tank overflow (30-35 gal!), not to mention the coolant getting awfully thin in the meantime.

So I had to stop that, and do the 5 gal bucket thing. Somewhat the pita. Each 5 gal bucket is 40 lbs, made more difficult by pulling it from an awkward location, and then tryna not spill it, and then for some distance. sheeesh..... I think NYC water is about .00001 c per gallon.

Oh well... . But, you know what they say: 00001 penny saved is .00001 penny earned. :)

Reply to
Proctologically Violated©®

I understand shit that you don't.

The heat was there to begin with idiot!

Reply to
<kjpro

With an air conditioner the condenser is OUTSIDE.

With a portable dehumidifier, the condenser is INSIDE.

Big difference and the unit is NOT creating more heat then it&#39;s using, PERIOD!

Reply to
<kjpro

They are all pretty ineffecient. Better effeciency can be had by spending more money on central A/C (higher SEER) or a mini-split (for example Fujitsu&#39;s run up to a whopping 21 SEER). In both of those cases you would need a professional install.

That being said, a dinky little A/C like that, even running at 8 SEER or something crappy like that, is not going to break the bank just because it&#39;s not big anyhow, and you probably don&#39;t run it 24/7. Additionally, depending on your situation, wasting some electricity dollars may be ok if the alternatives (putting central A/C in your rental unit or something) don&#39;t make sense. This "ineffeciency" may add up to something like $10 a month (guessing here) so it may not matter.

Jensington

Reply to
Jensington

Last year&#39;s rate was $2.02 per hundred cubic feet (ccf) PLUS an additional 159 percent for the accompanying sewage dump [a], or $5.2318 per ccf.

With 750 gallons per ccf, that&#39;s $0.0069, or about 0.7 cents (3/4 of a cent) per gallon.

Note that this is _last year&#39;s_ rate. There&#39;s been an 11 percent increase propsed for this year. I&#39;m pretty sure that&#39;s the final number, but there might be some slight adjustments in the pipeline.

[a] for most customers the pipeline water is the same quantity as the sewage dump. The city will do separate metering if there&#39;s a major difference - for example, if you&#39;re using well water for your car wash and dumping it in the sewer.
Reply to
danny burstein

Thanks everyone, especially to those who pointed out that some have 2 hoses. I was wondering before if the single hoses were split.

Reply to
Tom Del Rosso

I once read about a guy who used water (from the main supply) to fill a bucket that pulled his heavy iron driveway gate open, and *then* went to watering the plants.

Reply to
Tom Del Rosso

No doubt a guy with much too much free time.... :)

Reply to
Proctologically Violated©®

No doubt about that. Just not thermodynamics.

Reply to
Richard J Kinch

Define "create".

It doesn&#39;t "create" heat in the sense of violating energy conservation.

However it does convert latent heat that doesn&#39;t affect a thermometer to sensible heat that does.

Just think of it as evaporative cooling in reverse. Condensive heating, if you like. Multiple joules of sensible heat appear compared to the joules of energy used to run the machinery.

Reply to
Richard J Kinch

By the way, that&#39;s 800 watts of power, vs energy. You might enjoy learning the difference :-)

Wow, you really ARE stupid... and not embarrassed at all? :-)

Think really hard. It takes energy to evaporate water...

Nick

Reply to
nicksanspam

Hi Tom,

FWIW, this article appeared in today&#39;s Plain Dealer:

Cheers, Paul

Reply to
Paul M. Eldridge

Whatever, you can believe what you want... even if it&#39;s wrong!

Reply to
<kjpro

It "converts" heat, but it doesn&#39;t "create" it, it was in the space already! Therefore, it&#39;s not 100% + efficient.

Reply to
<kjpro

If I&#39;m stupid you must be retarded?

Reply to
<kjpro

kj, Just killfile the ignorant troll, like everybody else has. His only purpose in life is to try and stir up shit

Reply to
Noon-Air

kj, here is another one for the killfile. thes idiots are also cross posting all over the place to try and stir up even more shit

Reply to
Noon-Air

So you got hosed!

Reply to
Tekkie®

years ago i got into a heated argument with the fellow in charge of building maintence where i worked. the window AC unit was ineffective having been vented into a compressor machine room. in the summer the temperature in there must of been near 200 degrees. the jerk claimed that had no effect on the ac operation...

clearly he was wrong, and either too stupid to realize it or plain lazy and didnt want to move the unit. worse the company wanted us looking professional in long sleeve dress shirts and ties, in a office near 90 degrees..........

heck they really wanted us in suits.........

Reply to
hallerb

No. Water vapor is not heat. A dehumidifier produces more watt-hours of sensible heat than the watt-hours of electricity consumed, the difference being the heat of vaporization of the water vapor condensed.

The sensible heat was no more "in the space" than if you had used fuel or a battery to create heat from stored energy.

This is likely over your head, as it is a matter of thermodynamics that takes years of study, and which very few people are qualified to understand.

Reply to
Richard J Kinch