Portable A/C recommendation

I have a 1000 sq ft duplex that I would like to cool down in San Ramon, California during this upcoming Summer. Our area has some occasional 100 degree days, but most of the summer is in the 80's and

90's. Both back bedrooms are the hotest rooms in the house since the sun shines directly on the back side of the home. I was hoping to run one portable A/C in the living room and point it towards both bedrooms, but would it be better to run two separate portable A/C's in both bedroroms during the summer and still have some A/C getting some cool down in the Living Room where I watch TV?

In regards to BTU ratings, what's my best solution in regards to keeping cool and not paying an arm and a leg in electricity charges? One A/C with a larger BTU rating or two smaller BTU portable A/C's in both bedrooms?

Reply to
Ziggs

On Mon, 11 Mar 2013 00:49:00 -0700, Ziggs wrote in Re Portable A/C recommendation:

Get 3 window A/Cs, one each for the bedrooms and the living room. Get the 5k btu size. Run the one in the room you are occupying.

Reply to
CRNG

Poor choice. Air circulation is as important as the BTU rating and I doubt you will get enough this way.

More economical to run also, as you can shut off what is not needed. You want maybe 6000 BTU for each the bedrooms, probably 8000 for the rest of the space.

I have no experience with the portable units. Window AC is generally more efficient, but you do lose use of a window while it is in.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

With "portable" A/C units, you WILL pay an arm and a leg. As another poster suggest, your very best bet is some number of window units. Three window units can be had for the price of ONE portable.

Reply to
HeyBub