Portable A/C

Fry's Electronics has been advertising them.

Reply to
ValveJob

They're all pretty much the same, there's virtually no difference at all between the small rotary compressors they use, and they're all about the same efficiency (not very) due to mandated standards. Buy one that has the features and cosmetic design you like.

Reply to
James Sweet

The OP said he didn't require heating. I think you're a bit on the high side in your heat output estimate. I think 400 watts for a residential unit would be more realistic. You're dropping the relative humidity which will affect latent heat, and the units themselves only draw 600-800 watts. Even a heating element isn't 100% efficient.

Dehumidifiers don't use heating elements, they just pass the chilled dehumidified air through the condenser which heats it back up. There's some net gain, since the power consumed by the compressor (about 400W) becomes heat.

Reply to
James Sweet

Bubba, he's comparing them to the portable a/c's, not central air.

Reply to
<kjpro

Not another one...

Since when is electric heat not 100% efficient?

Reply to
<kjpro

What are you using the water for?

Reply to
<kjpro

Or you can add a condensate pump for about $40.

Reply to
Richard J Kinch

Yep. Think of it as a swamp cooler in reverse. An unswamp heater.

Psychrometrics are not so favorable, however. It&#39;s a dry heat.

Reply to
Richard J Kinch

BULLSHIT

I guess you&#39;re a Edenpure believer too???

What a crock of shit that is!!

Reply to
<kjpro

BULLSHIT

I guess you&#39;re a Edenpure believer too???

What a crock of shit that is!!

Reply to
<kjpro

in

From elsewhere, I know he&#39;s also a machinist--and so probly he uses it ( as do I ) to mix with water soluble cutting oil or synthetic instead of buying DI water...just need to add an anti-microbial..

Reply to
Jeffrey Lebowski

Well, it will produce more than 800 watts worth of heat. Where did the extra come from, the condensing of the water from the air. When water vapor is condensed to liquid, it gives up heat.

David

Reply to
David

Where was the heat in the first place?

In the room... so it&#39;s not EXTRA heat!

Reply to
<kjpro

Fucking idiot, as usual.

Don&#39;t dispose of the water, and don&#39;t take in any additional moisture and then what exactly do we have here now?

Reply to
Jeffrey Lebowski

I got one for $.99 + free shipping.

Ebay ...doh !!!

Reply to
Jeffrey Lebowski

Latent versus sensible heat.

You are ignorant of thermodynamics and unable to understand the physical principles.

Reply to
Richard J Kinch

Yes. If it&#39;s like the one I measured, it would provide 1.6x800 = 1280 watts.

Do you believe a 500 watt air conditioner can move 1500 watts of heat? :-)

It&#39;s time to admit you are wrong and apologize for your arrogance.

Nick

Reply to
nicksanspam

Wellllllllll...................Shit! :-) Bubba

Reply to
Bubba

or get one with two hoses, that draws in its condenser air from the outside

Reply to
Abby Normal

I&#39;ve had a Sunpentown 13000 BTU unit for 3 years. It&#39;s very effective, efficient, and the condensate goes out with the air exhaust. I installed a dryer vent through the wall to regain the full use of my window. It keeps the computer room cool and doesn&#39;t cost a lot to run.

Ordering over the Internet, including shipping, was comparable in price to buying a 9000 btu unit with a much lower efficiency rating locally.

The quality of this unit really surprised me.

Tom Del Rosso wrote:

Reply to
Mike Berger