Payne Heat Pump Noise

Hi-

I have a new Payne heat pump we purchased in the summer. Now that the unit is in winter operation the noise is driving us crazy! The unit is quite and heats the house great but every 1.5 hours or so is lets out a sound like an airplane taking off. I belive it puts itself in reverse to keep the outside coils from freeing up. But should it be so loud that it wakes people up?

I should have been weary of an obviouse knock-off of "Train" heat pump. Is this realy going to be a Payne in the butt? My insurance company replaced my York with the bottom of the barral I guess right? One last thing, it's running off the York thermistat, could the mismatch be causing the problem? Any thoughts would be great!

Thanks RSC

RSC

It does reverse to defrost the outside coils and it sounds like that is what you are hearing. Some units are noisy when they do that. You should still call the installer and let them check it.

Reply to
jamesgangnc

You need to find the airplane and get rid of it. When it reverses, it should only wake up the dog, not you. It will only be a pain in your side. Leave your butt out of it. I didnt know insurance companies replaced heat pumps. Usually a qualified hvac company does that. Any mismatch can cause problems. Why would you let them do that? Bubba

Reply to
Bubba

FWIW, Payne equipment had been around a long long time, and is not intended to be confused with Trane. Payne may actually have been around longer than Trane. Payne is made by Carrier corp, and from a reliability standpoint is fairly decent, but they have to be the noisiest POS ever made. I have spent hours trying to quiet them down and stop the rattling panels, with very limited success. The York stat should not cause your problems. Did a home warranty company install this unit? Around here, it seems most Payne equipment is mixed and matched with little concern about compatibility. Larry

Reply to
lp13-30

Yes, a home warrenty did replace the unit. I've had this new unit since July and never heard the noise until heating season, so I'm ass- u-me ing, the defrost is only needed in the winter. The unit works great and the house has never been warmer even with an ice storm that coated the entire unit. But to coin a phrase from the Grinch: The noise, the noise, the noise, noise, noise, noise........

I mean, it really is loud, and it not a rattling sound it's more like ... did you ever hear an electric fogger or electric paint sprayer buzz? It's that sound only 3 times as loud. Emagine that sound every 1.5 hours all night long, every night. The crazy thing is, the dog sleeps right through it!

But you all agree, maybe I should have the installer back for a checkup? (it's going to cost me $50. deductable).

RSC

Reply to
RSC

Reply to
The Freon Cowboy

If the head pressue is running excessively high at the beginning of the defrost cycle, then the changeover will be excessively noisy as well. If head pressure is high at the end of the defrost cycle you'll have the same noise issue. In the former case the likely culprits would be low indoor airflow or an overcharge. In the latter case a stuck or incorrectly located defrost sensor would be the likely culprit.

Have you checked the air filter? If it's clean then you might want to have a professional look the system over.

Other than that, yes, as the other poster said, Paynes are typically noisy in a vibration/rattling sense. That doesn't seem to be what you're referring to though.

HTH.

Reply to
Richard

Richard -

Funny you should say the beginning and ending. The first noise lastes about 7 seconds then about 3min later I get a noise equally as loud but only for 3 sec. My filter is a bit dirty so I'm going to replace the filter this weekend and monitor the start and finish noise, then report back here.

At least I have a plan to follow now!

Thanks

RSC

Reply to
RSC

There was a service bulletin sent out on this. It recommended a "quiet shift" defrost board to alleviate this noise problem (that exists on some models). Ask your local Carrier, Bryant, or Payne dealer about this. What the board does is shut the compressor down for one minute and then starts it back up with the reversing valve switched.

Your unit may already have one of these boards. There is a dip switch on the upper right hand corner that says "quiet shift" above it. It can be switched on or off. We leave them in the off position unless there are noise complaints.

Reply to
Richard

Well, that's some great information. This is a brand new unit so I would assume the dip-switch is present. Even if there were no noise complaints, it seems to me that jamming the compressor in reverse rather then shutting it down, then going in reverse, would be better for the compressor's longjevity.

I can't wait to try this!

RSC

RSC

Here's a quick clue. The compressor doesn't reverse, Really. So since you havent a clue, Id advise not delving into the unknown. It may be hazardous to your equipment and yourself. Bubba

Reply to
Bubba

Not so Lucky....

I found the circuit board but no sign of a dip-switch. I posted some pictures at

love to get my hands on this circuit board and install it myself. I know the home warrenty service would never pay for it, would you belive they would not pay for the legs this unit has to sit on?

Thanks for your help Richard!

RSC

Reply to
RSC

Home warranty company??? pay for something??? BWAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHA

Reply to
Noon-Air

You do know that you most likely have a unit that is overcharged and airflow that may not be correct if you have that much noise? Bubba

Reply to
Bubba

I wonder when the filter was last changed......

Reply to
Noon-Air

I see he got the expensive Pain model, errr Payne model.

Reply to
Zyp

Did ya ever notice that when home owners post on here that they want *free* advice, or *free* instructions on how to fix their 20 - 30 year old POS furnace, its because they have already screwed with it and they ended up with a lot more damage than they started with. And all because they were too cheap to call a *competent*, licensed, insured, professionally trained, HVAC technician to diagnose and correct the original problem. Then there is the thought of replacing the furnace.... they can drive brand new cars, and live in nice homes, but can't be bothered to get their comfort systems serviced, or replace them when their past their design service life.

What kills me is that they call us rip-offs when it would have been a whole lot cheaper to pay a competent tech, and get it done right in the first place.

Reply to
Noon-Air

Usually, but that doesn't apply to the OP, yet. The unit is in fact new, and the complaint is valid. Noise is not covered by the standard warranty unless there is a defective part causing it, and even then only the part is covered. In this case the parts work, but the engineering could be said to have failed. I'm not fond of bad engineering, so I tend to be sympathetic to its victims. Both the part and the labor should be covered by Carrier for the upgraded board. It isn't the customers fault that Carriers engineers produced a piece of shit unit.

Reply to
Richard

I thought it best for my own sake to add this: Not all of their units are pieces of shit, but that one is. OTOH, competition causes all manufactures to offer builders grade systems. Even so, if they can't produce a cheap unit that doesn't wake up the neighbors then they should send spies out to the other manufactures to figure out how they manage to do it. I worked on exactly the same model unit just last week, and it was a noisy SOB. I guess I still have some pissed-offedness left over from that. There's nothing I can do to quieten the unit short of replacing it. :)

There is a market for cheap, but damn!

Reply to
Richard

Bullshit Steve he hasn't messed with the f****ng unit it at all far as I can tell simply stated it either has a defective reversing valve or it has one that is too f****ng small for the job replace it with one that has a big enough coil so it can quickly shuttle the spool regardless of head pressure.

Reply to
Jeffry Lebowski