Heat Pump Hum

Recently had a new Payne heat pump installed and have noticed a very slight "hum" coming from the air handling unit. Assume this is eminating from a transformer in side the unit - is this correct & normal? Thank you. Art

Reply to
Art

Some hum because they don't know the words....

Actually, it's normal for some transformers to hum. I have 4 assorted 24v tranny's because I have a zoning system in my house. One hums to me and the other 3 are quiet.

Reply to
HeatMan

Yes...and no.

If its brand new, I would not have let that go...but then, I dont sell Carrier / ICP brand products for the quality issues from day one anyway...

Reply to
CBHVAC

what brand do you sell and why?

Reply to
Expires in 27 days

"Expires in 27 days" wrote in message news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com...

York...Coleman... York UPG products as far as the systems go. Why? History for starters. Innovators since day one. They are changing the market now even as we type this with the new line of units they are about to release. On my website, the first thumbnail that loads is a low quality scan that was put up for some other techs that wanted to see them...interesting design, not to mention designer colors...(ok..the color idea is a bit much for me..) Quality. Sure...its not so much about the unit, but the installer, and thats a fact. You can give a hack a high rated unit,and he can screw it all to hell and back, but you install a unit like it is meant to be, and every brand will have issues....but I have found that York has fewer than many. I first started dealing with York after dropping Tempstar, and Carrier in the southern deserts of CA. I had grown up knowing of the York brand, and when I had the chance to really get involved, I did. The dealer that was training me at the time, was a longtime fan of York, and after installing many and servicing many more over the years, I can honestly say, they are a more forgiving in the area of installation issues than many, and they do hold up. I tell people here that if they can withstand 15 years on a roof in CA dserts, then they will hold up here... Support. IF we have a problem, that can not be determined in the field help is a phone call away. Need warranty parts? Same day delivery, or next day air. My suppliers are the best I have EVER dealt with. They have and offer some of the best dealer training programs I have seen. Detailed, involved, hands on...what good is it if you know the book parts, but not the actual repair and installation parts? Ease of installation. As a company owner, I look for what is easy to get in, and get out with. Lets face it, time is money....and as a consumer (yes, I have York on my home as well) I didnt want to be down for more than a day when I started to rip out the fairly new ThermoPride....few hours later and we have a new heat pump... No..I dont get paid to advertise this...but I BELIEVE in the product. They have had their share of dumb ideas.....all companies will. If the companies reject the failures, and improve, then thats who I want to be with...not some org that continues to pump out coils that leak, and leak, and leak......(ICP) Yorks not been real involved in the res market for a few years. They tend to deal with more of your larger commerical apps....the Twin Towers for instance, were York. The Capital, the Kremlin, Sydney Opera House...etc..larger scale operations that demand a unit thats going to be there when they need it, and I honestly believe that the lessons learned from commercial apps, is applied to the Unitary division of products.

There are many reasons, but there are a few..

Reply to
CBHVAC

This is Turtle.

If it is brand new and you can hear it. Have them come back and change the transformer for it gets worst as it ages. Take care of noises now under warrenty and not later out of warrenty. Some trtansformers will hummm for some reason or the other and just change them out.

TURTLE

Reply to
TURTLE