New Electrial outlets in Basement

We are in the process of finishing our basement. The studding is up and now I have to decide on how many outlets. I have decided to put in 8 outlets on one side (separate new feed) and want to ensure that this should be fine. Can anyone tell me if this is reasonable? The basement is not a highly used area so I'm not overly concerned but am I safe?

Cheers wade

Reply to
Wade Eyre

In residential, you can install as many convenience receptacles as you want on a circuit. Your only consideration is how the room will be used. You *must* have an outlet at least every 12 linear feet. Since the supplies are so cheap it makes sense at this stage of the game to install more than necessary, unless you value a clean unbroken look more than convenience, now or in the future.

Especially in a finished basement, it's good practice to keep any permanently connected lighting on a seperate circuit.

Reply to
HA HA Budys Here

You really should get a copy of the NEC or a good book that references the NEC rules. You should find lots of these books at you local library or book store. It isn't difficult to conform to the rules, but you have to know what the rules are in order to conform to them.

The basic rule is that there must be a duplex recepticle within 6 feet of any point along a wall (measured horizontally), and if there is a doorway along a wall, the 6 feet measurement restarts (so that people don't need to run cords in front of doorways). There are also limitations on how many outlets can be on one circuit. The NEC specifies a limit, but in some areas, the local gov't has changed the limit. Where I live, it's 8 outlets per circuit.

Reply to
You Asked

What are you planning on doing there? Unless you will be running shop tools or electric heaters it would be difficult to exceed the circuit's capacity however many outlets you put in.

You can check with your town to see if they have a maximum, but it is unlikely. (Well, at least here; don't know about Canada...) The circuit does have to have a GFCI. (At least here, don't know about Canada, but for $5 it is reasonable.)

Reply to
Toller

Sorry but the US NEC does not specify any limit on the number of outlets on residential circuits. In states that permit local amendment of the electrical code there may be an amendment limiting the number of outlets but in min/max states such as Virginia that is not a possibility.

-- Tom H

Reply to
Tom Horne

Others have mentioned the 6/12 foot rule. In residential, there is no max to number of outlets on a circuit per NEC. However, the number of circuits required in the basement is as follows:

finished area square footage * 3 / 1800 for 15A circuits (and round up). finished area square footage * 3 / 2400 for 20A circuits (rounding up).

-- Mark Kent, WA

Reply to
Mark or Sue

I recently got a very practical book from Coles; "Electrical Code Simplified" by P.S. Knight. This is Ontario book 1, residential wiring; $11.95 .

Here it is 12 outlets per circuit max., including "light outlets" (ceiling lights). The 6/12 rule, already mentioned, seems to apply regarding spacing and doors, etc.

I really suggest you get this book. It won't turn you into an electrician but it is a very valuable guide for just these types of questions.

Joe

Reply to
Joe

Canada has an outlet limit, US non-dwellings have a limit, US dwellings have no limit.

-- Mark Kent, WA

Reply to
Mark or Sue

Code now requires an outlet ever SIX feet. To me this seems extreme, but that is the law. If you wont be inspected, so what you want. I personally think every 10 feet is about right. Of course is there is going to be a special area, such as a home entertainment aream a bar, a tool or craft area, cooking area (for electric cookers), or other. Put MORE outlets there. If you are putting a switch somewhere, put an outlet under it to save wire.

Reply to
me

No, it doesn't. No way, no where does any code require an outlet every 6 feet.

No it isn't.

If there were "cookers" it's a whole 'nother ball of wax and the 12 foot code is out the window. This isn't a kitchen.

This is why I'm a proponent of drug testing.

Reply to
HA HA Budys Here