Need to braze some fittings - SilPhos15 or Stabrite??

What's best for refrigerant fittings Staybrite silver solder or SilPhos15?

No gap filling needed. These are standard copper connection fittings vs repairs.

Reply to
henny

Well, I don't think that Staybrite would do much for your pipes.

reduce your heat gain?
The couple times I've used brazing sticks, they take a lot of heat, and do an OK job. I've not had a lot of success with brazing.

I was introduced to Stay-Brite 8. Which is a silver bearing solder. And that has worked very successfully for me for many years.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

2 part expoy, duct tape and a glue gun. Bubba
Reply to
Bubba

Reply to
henny

Reply to
Bubba

From my point of view you can use Silphose, stay-bright or silver it depend what is your application where and what are you repairing. If is just copper pipe/tubing to copper pipe/tubing cheapest Silphose like 5% will work just fine, 15 % I use only if customer request that otherwise don't west your money and if you are fixing or repairing something near part that heat may do some damaged then you use silver or stay-bright you choose as your application may require. You or "THE BOSS" from Dido

Reply to
AKS

I thought you'd use that Great Stuff foam?

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

What kind of torch are you using?? What refrigerant is in the system?? What part of the refrigerant system??

Are you *SURE* its all copper?? and not copper clad or plated??

Reply to
Noon-Air

Good idea. That straw would make the job easier. However it would probably require the maximum expanding formulation.

Reply to
henny

Turbo torch + MAPP gas, R22, suction and liquid line set to new coil and condensor.

It seems like a mix of opinions. Some prefer SilPhos and others swear by Stay Brite. Some even use soft solder but I discount those as hacks.

The braz>

Reply to
henny

My personal preference is to use oxy-acetylene with 15% silphos(no flux) on copper - copper, and 45% silver (with paste flux)on copper - brass or copper - coper clad/plated. I normally use a #2 tip up to 3/4 inch copper, above that I use a small rosebud.

Reply to
Noon-Air

Remember to grease the straw good.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Thats what SHE said

Reply to
Noon-Air

After six years of using Stay-Brite, I've had consistently good results.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Once I try to use bobble gum but when customer sow bubble he evacuated building and call Home security team man that was not cool Dido

Reply to
AKS

A 2 tip on that smaller stuff and oxy-acet? Man... you're good.

What's the gas mix on that rig? I got the job done with the same setup but boy it was HOT. My test piece got melted (-;.

I'm interested in what kind of torch handle you use to get into those... tight places (Paul, don't start)?

And what kind of rosebud?

Jake

Reply to
Jake

Nahhh..... I'm just practicing :-) In my younger days, I used to could do a single pass gas weld on 3/8 inch thick steel with 95% penetration.

I normally run 6psi on the acetylene regulator, and 10 psi on the oxy regulator. I like a hot fire, it gets the job done quick with all the heat right where I want it and a lot less chance of getting everything else in the area too hot. I like to use wet paper towls to keep near by componants from overheating... like service valves. In theory, the paper when if it gets dried out will burn befor the valve seals do.... never had it take that long before... even on 1 1/8 inch copper.

Its just your basic Uniweld portable torch kit. The rosebud was extra.

On the rosebud it says its a #15 if that helps... they have them at the supply houses that carry commercial and refrigeration stuff for brazing larger diameter copper pipe. They had a little "shorty" tip that was about 3 inches, I opted for the longer that is about 7 inches. FWIW, there are a lot of places where its a lot easier to get a long tip into than you whole hand, torch, and tip. Its kinda like using a screwdriver.... *most* of the time I will grab the long one, unless all I can fit is a stubby.

Reply to
Noon-Air

... did it with a cutting head on the torch

Reply to
Noon-Air

Noon-Air posted for all of us...

Oh boy....