Has anyone used a Universal Potential Relay? Do they work?

I have a 3HP Copeland Med Temp unit that the compressor won't start all of the time. When it does start, the amp draw is good, capacitors all check good, so I'm thinking the start relay is going bad. If I can't find the exact relay, (it's pretty old), would one of the "Universal" types work? I see one in my Grainger catalog. How do you set them? I see something in the description about drop- in and drop-out voltage. The condensing unit is 208V. The numbers on my old relay are:

3ARR3MARS64 M&A 19003. Any help much appreciated.
Reply to
257roberts

I am not familier with the numbers.... Have you tried a TO-5 Kickstart??

Reply to
Noon-Air

Make sure the relay is suitable for the HP If you can larger on the relay HP ...this is good Why not install a Copeland hard start kit?

Reply to
daytona°

Not sure what a "TO" kit is... would the Copeland Hard Start kit include a Start relay?

dayt> Make sure the relay is suitable for the HP

Reply to
257roberts

Reply to
Noon-Air

Yes...it is included

dayt> Make sure the relay is suitable for the HP

Reply to
daytona°

Christopher: consider you self lucky that you are not living in this part of country, I have being working on systems that should have 208 after customer burn up some wiring they call for service only for me to find that are running on 195-7 and are wondering why is it that unit is not working properly, this is not one place it is practically across eastern part of country

90% are running below 205 which isn't enough for 220 machines this year I replace few compressors because of the low voltage when the equipment blow fuses you would think that some one would check for that oh no that is to much to ask so good for me they are paying for it From Dido

Reply to
AKS

Yes, it's fun to joke about 240 volts only being for eastern states. It's sad that the equipment is burning up from low voltage. And I'm pleased you have the skills to check. Something I ought to do from now on, check the line voltage as part of any clean and check.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Got the relay on and the unit is starting nicely. Thanks to all the posters who offered thier help. Very much appreciated...Hope I can help someone out soon.

Storm> Yes, it's fun to joke about 240 volts only being for eastern states.

Reply to
257roberts