Wrot Copper Fittings - ACR vs. H/W store - Any difference??

What's the difference between copper fittings rated for ACR (like Mueller or Nibco 96XX) vs. standard copper fittings sold at H/W stores.

Is there any issue in using the generic wrot copper fittings for HVAC use?

Have you ever used a standard fitting in a pinch?

Reply to
Howard

the copper fittings & pipe sold in hardware stores is for water, not refrigeration. different operating pressures ya know.

plus, i've never seen a long radius copper ell in a hardware store.

Reply to
gofish

Slightly different sizes. 7/8 ACR is same as 3/4 water copper. ACR is outside diameter, and water is inside.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Reply to
Howard

If you plan to take advice from Chris.... AKA Stormin Moron.

You better have good INSURANCE!!!

Reply to
<kjpro

I regularily use standard copper fittings on refrigeration lines. But there are enginering considerations

There are three grades of copper piping. These are labeled K, L, M L is also called &#39; blue" M is also called " red "

Refrigeration is always L or K as M is not acceptable. Soft copper or rolled copper is usually a L grade.

Secondly any copper used must be exceptionally clean. Refrigeration copper has a &#39;dry&#39; gas inside to keep out the moisture. Moisture will destroy a compressor motor. And be expensive. Technicians know how to remove the moisture.

Fitttings. Couplings and Tees are almost the same. Elbows are not. Most water elbows are short radius and creates back pressure friction greater than is acceptable in refrigeration. You will need to go to a plumbing wholesaler to get long radius elbows that can be used with refrigeration. An alternate is to only use 45 degree elbows as they do not restrict as much.

Solder -- Soft solder can be used in some reffrigeration but probable not what you are doing and not with the off the shelf flux. So you will need to get a high temperature solder with a high temperature torch.

Reply to
dadstansell

No, it&#39;s outside diameter. Just go to the supply store and buy the right stuff, it&#39;s not like it is vastly more expensive or anything.

Reply to
James

Size isn&#39;t that important.

Reply to
Oscar_Lives

One correction if I may.

Most think the nitrogen is to keep moisture out because it will hurt the compressor. Well, if that&#39;s so, I want to see who is fast enough to pull the end cap off and soldier it in place before moisture and air get into the copper

The nitrogen is in the tubing to prevent it from oxidizing over time before the tubing is used. Its the installer who needs to purge the tubing before soldiering and evacuation.

If one installs a system and comes back months later without first evacuating and then pressurizing with nitrogen the tubing will oxidize and cause possible problems with valves and the compressor, how much depends.

Rich

Reply to
Geoman

Oscar, you REALLY opened yourself up for that one!! I can&#39;t believe Paul didn&#39;t jump on it by now!

Reply to
Geoman

Oh, save me! I&#39;m so tempted to write something, but I&#39;m such a good boy, and evil thoughts never enter my head.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Paul couldn&#39;t find it... to jump on it. :-)

Reply to
<kjpro

responding to

Jasprt2 wrote: I know this is an old post but here is the dif:

The Hardware store (Plumbing) copper fittings and pipe are only rated up to 200 PSI pressure. ACR or HVAC/R fittings and pipe are rated to min 600 psi. NEVER use Plumbing fittings or pipe on AC units. They can crack and even burst in the higher pressures. Not worth the risk of injury and the cost of repairs. Be sure to use silver or silver alloy solder/brazing rod. Also - make sure to use an acid free flux and don't over flux - the excess will get into the refrigerant/compressor oil. Simple tips but they will save you hundreds in repair costs later on.

J.

Howard wrote:

-------------------------------------

Reply to
Jasprt2

I know this is an old post but here is the dif:

I think that you will find standard plumbing copper fittings will hold pressure up to 2000 lbs. It is not as fine as HVAC fittings and will allow leakage of small molecules found in cooling gases.

ACR or HVAC/R fittings and pipe are rated to min 600

Reason for this is to reducer possibility of fracturing under vibration.

I recommend that you seek experienced help for this kind of work. A licensed bonded and reliable HVAC contractor/Master Tech will save you a lot od grief and will also warrant the work against failure.

Reply to
DonO

Pressures you indicated below are Working Pressures Bursting pressure are some what much more higher I don't know off hand for plumbing but refrigeration Standard is 900 PSI some Mfg. could be little different

I know this is an old post but here is the dif:

Reply to
Grumpy