AC: how limp by until new installation?

I guess I owe Stormy an apology. You are not up to his standards. I guess it never occurred to you to haul said motor back to the shop and rebuild it to factory specs? Also for most Under half Million BTUH units, most of us carry Universal replacement motors. I guess your handyman repair would be a pit bull in a squirrel cage with a Bryant igniter system tied to his nuts.

Reply to
Alexander

I remember my parents getting my older sister a transistor radio and it had a 9 volt battery about the size of a C cell with snap connectors on either end. I haven't seen a battery like that in many years. It had to be the late 50's or early 60's and of course I had to take it apart to see how it worked. 8-)

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

Did I just hear a big fart? Oh yea, hi Ally! 8-)

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

Ya know Todd Bill down in Atlanta's Honeywell? My first retirement was from Rockwell Space division. We made environmental systems for space.

Reply to
Don Ocean

COOL!(no pun) What spacecraft did you develop systems for and did you ever work North of here in Huntsville?

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

Dammit Paul, You enlighten him and how in Hell are we gonna get him to continue carrying 20 ton compressors up that ladder/ :-p

In all seriousness.. Get a hoist for that job. Ladders are not a place to be fooling around with heavy loads.

Reply to
Don Ocean

Heh! Heh! I think you are catching on. ;-p

Reply to
Alexander

There is a nice professional winch for that. Larger requires a crane or depending on expanse of roof and size, a Helocopter. Fast smaller jobs, just call a sign company crane truck. They are happy to do quick fast jobs and be on their way. $75 for a fast half hour job is the going rate here. They can handle 5K to 10K BTUH roof units.

Reply to
Alexander

And if you don't... You are gonna love the Obama Health care system.

Reply to
Don Ocean

Gemini, Apollo and some other assorted unmanned vehicles. The Electronics is sometimes more valuable then lifeforms. Duck hunting was good in Huntsville. Hated the damned humidity. Space employed millions in the 1960's. If you want to see the wonders of real environmental systems.. Just look at the modern 767 or the new Airbus aircraft. The Concorde system was also developed by a Rockwell team. Another is the Huge Passenger Ocean liners... I think most of those systems were based on designs by Garret Industries Air Research.

Reply to
Don Ocean

Electronics packages were a little bigger for the same job back then. I know that watt density is much greater now than in the past but the use of switching regulators rather than shunt regulators may let the electronics run at lower temperatures and the newer CPU's are a lot less heat sensitive. I wonder what range did you have to keep the temperature for the older electronics? I was able to get my hands on some Apollo Saturn command receivers through the school surplus program back around 1970 and the stuff was incredible, all discrete components making up the tone decoders and the UHF receivers were all gold plated. Man do I ever wish I still had that stuff. Oh yea, do the newer passenger plane use more fresh air? I remember a lot of controversy about the amount of air that was recirculated in passenger cabins some years back.

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

There were no CPU's Per se.. It was mass integration called Micra's. They were actually in a metal sealed flat very small(for that time) can The tiny gold wiring was installed by machinery invented under Government contract by North American Aviation(Rockwell). They were taken by the Johnson administration and given to Texas Instrument, thus bringing that company out as a major supplier. As for cooling and heating... Much of those equipment needs were served by immersion in FC77 or FC75..Which was then heated or cooled by other methods as needed. I wonder what range did you have to keep the

Close tolerance.. Wide ranges in environmental chambers were designed for the unlikely possibility of environmental failures in space.

Too bad you didn't get your hands on some of the S band radar Moon mapping radar. They were solid silver.

I was able to get my hands on

Scrubbers etc.. Check out Air research. Ain't much air at the altitudes some modern transoceanic passenger planes fly. They need the altitude to cut heavy air drag thus giving the most bang for the fuel dollar.

I remember a lot of controversy

I don't think you want any circuitry etc from some of our early satellites and much of that was nuke reactor powered. Two fellows were killed when loading a dispersing satellite, with Barium..Which by itself is inert. They made a mistake and radiated it with Ku band to see if it would reflect. In Air it becomes active when radiated and exploded killing both and totally demolishing a laboratory and scattering nuke material all over the place. It was scheduled to lift off from Pt Mugu. Hughes Corporation made some really nice satellites with a lot of our equipment on board. They still do and so does or did Raytheon. I am amazed that you got any equipment from the Apollo program. All we had, was destroyed rather then send it to salvage. As was the Mercury and Gemini equipment. The Space suites were saved to be utilized for further research and as museum displays. I understand there is a display in Paris of some of our space hardware antiques.

Reply to
Don Ocean

The command receivers were made for the booster itself and on the outside was stamped "NOT FLIGHT QUALIFIED" which led me to believe they had been test and development units. They were completely sealed and had the Bendix twist lock connectors with the gold pins, etc. A lot of that material made it to the surplus depots where schools and and other government agencies could root through piles of stuff that originally cost untold thousands of dollars to obtain. It was amazing, one transistor would be packaged in a box the size of your forearm and it was all super quality mil spec and aerospace spec parts. It was a regular candy store for anyone interested in electronics.

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

Don was in chage of O-rings. 'Nuff said.

Reply to
.p.jm.

Did you ever have an alien rip up a condensing unit to steal the copper?

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

"well, you know, somtimes it might be better if she just took the pain pill."

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Sorry Chris there are no alien on this earth yet

Grumpy

Then, who's stealing all the copper on Earth? I guess the only safe place to move, is outer space.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Tony, there are about 13 million illegal aliens living here in the USA.

Real Pisser

yes, Chris! make the move. there may be some 4th of July rockets you can use for propulsion (insert anally). Take a little tank of 02 with you. put up a flag so we can see your success. Disclosure: you must use all cautions to prevent injury to yourself and aliens on other planets. If your fail, remember that your Lord still loves you.

Real Pisser