A few questions about DEHUMIDIFIERS .... ???

We live in an apartment and for reasons to long to go into cannot have air conditioning. All we have are fans which do an OK job of moving the air around. Better than nothing I guess.

Now... If we were to add a DEHUMIDIFIER to the mix, would that help us feel any cooler? Sometimes, especially at night the humidity outside is like 80, 90% or even higher. We have the windows open and although the air is a little cooler at night it is just so damn sticky.

What if we got a dehumidifier or two, closed the windows and let the fans run. Would it FEEL cooler? Also... do dehumidifiers have any COOLING capability at all?

Thanks in advance

DAVID

Reply to
David_nj_7

Get a portable air conditioner, perferably a dual hose one. The unit sits inside the apartment and all need is a small window for the air hose(s).

Dehumidifier does not have any cooling capability, it is a heater!

David_nj snipped-for-privacy@mailbolt.com wrote:

Reply to
velovelo13

Thanks for the replies. See, the problem is, all we have is a sliding glass door. BTW, can any window unit operate vertically instead of horizontally?

Thanks

DAVID

Reply to
David_nj_7

Vertial units are called "casement".

If you run a horizontal AC on edge, you will have all kidns of problems with compressor lubrication, slugging, condensate, etc.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

No they can not be operated on their sides. Do a search for vertical a/c or something along those lines.

...Ron

--

68'RS Camaro 88'Formula 00'GT Mustang
Reply to

You will get some cooling effect by running a dehumidifier , these guys are scary here, they should not be giving advice to anyone.

Reply to
Fat Eddy

I have a dehumidifier in my basement; it keeps the humidity down, but it runs a lot and bring the basement temp up to 80 degrees. If I leave it off, the humidity will go up to 75 to 80 percent and the temp hovers around 74 or lower. There is absolutely no cooling to be felt from my dehumidifier. The whole process just generates its own heat. All the evap coils do is...........ahh, you know all that. NY metro area. Now, if you vent all the hot air outside that the condenser dissipates, that might be different, as it would then be a little portable AC (maybe, I'm only a dimwit electrician anyway).

Dimwit

Reply to
DIMwit