A/C problem, need help ASAP

I was just teasing about the transformer thing. 8)

Reply to
Danny G.

The point is simply that liberal environmentalists have gotten the US government to forcibly create a completely artificial shortage (in the US only) of an economically very valuable substance. Supposedly this is to lower emissions into the atmosphere, but even if you grant the dubious desirability of that goal, the artificial shortage is absurd since the third world has no such restriction and has every incentive to outproduce us and to wildly out-emit anything the 1st world ever did with this substance, as it already is doing today.

Furthermore, there will be no shortage in the US: R-22 will be available forever under this regime, even after 2020, just like the banned R-12, being that the *manufacture in the US* (not the possession, trading, or stockpiling) is what the G-men with guns will be shooting at, such that the price will skyrocket and bootlegging will be richly profitable.

This is entirely a repeat of R-12 in the early 1990s, which played out exactly this way on a faster phase-out schedule.

Remember, a $50 drum of R-12 bought in 1990 turned into a $1500 gem in a matter of 5 years. You may want to consider an EPA license and a stockpile of R-22 in your investment portfolio.

Reply to
Richard J Kinch

Not to mention the fact that Dow allegedly had their snout in the trough. Their patents had expired on the 'bad' freon. Since the 'good' freon has fresh patents and sells for a lot more than the 'bad' they stand to make a buttload of money off the deal.

Reply to
Jim Stewart

Small change compared to what the trade stands to gain. Much higher pressures for the new stuff inevitably makes it less efficient, harder to install, and more frequent to fail, in comparison to what would have been the case with the old stuff. This is thermodynamic certainty. Sure it can work, and tomorrow's models may even work better than today's models, but it just cannot ever work as well as the more ideal R-22 at lower pressures. Everybody in the biz gains, the consumer loses.

Reply to
Richard J Kinch

But now I'm sitting in the middle of the room, as far from the outlets as possible. I had to get an extension cable for my computer keyboard.

And there's that asbestos, too.

Reply to
mm

government to forcibly create a completely artificial

Freon is just a name Dow patent and not whats actually in the jug.

Reply to
Danny G.

Freon is like LPG - you get what is handy and useful. Propane in the winter butane in the summer or a mixture all year round or a mix of this and that with enough Propane to give the boost. Once there were Propane dealers - now only LPG.

Martin

Martin H. Eastburn @ home at Lions' Lair with our computer lionslair at consolidated dot net NRA LOH & Endowment Member NRA Second Amendment Task Force Charter Founder IHMSA and NRA Metallic Silhouette maker & member

Danny G. wrote:

government to forcibly create a completely artificial

Reply to
Martin H. Eastburn

Except R-290. Still used in Europe, too.

Reply to
~^Johnny^~

Where? I was paying $70 for 30 lb disposable tanks in 1990, OTC wholesale, in Caalifornia. It was $50 for 30 lb back about

1985-86.
Reply to
~^Johnny^~

government to forcibly create a completely artificial

Nothing is freon this planet anyway.

Reply to
~^Johnny^~

Funny, most 3 phase units I've seen have high starting torque. Some units have shutoff solenoids, and start under headpresure, even after long off-periods.

But since this is crossposted to alt.home.repair, I can see why the presumption is made, since you likely only deal with residential units.

Reply to
~^Johnny^~

~^Johnny^~

According to ~^Johnny^~ :

Well ... I've observed a failure from a power glitch in an industrial unit (out where I worked before I retired). I was sitting out in my car relaxing at lunchtime, and I heard a loud whooshing sound, and saw a dense white cloud billowing out of the room which had the air conditioner compressors, along with other HVAC stuff for the building.

It turns out that it blew a hole in the compressor's crankcase. It apparently tried to start with liquid in at least one cylinder, and the three phase motor *did* have plenty of starting torque -- too much in terms of the health of the multi-cylinder compressor.

Luckly, there were two other units in the same room which did survive, so we were not baked out of the building until repairs could be performed.

Well ... I'm the one you quoted, and I was posting from rec.crafts.metalworking instead. Still not as an expert on refrigeration systems, but with a bit of mechanical knowledge at least.

And -- if this system had had an electronic time delay on the restart as my home system does, it would have survived, and would not dumped a large quantity of whatever refrigerant it happened to use. This was before the changing regulations forced us to abandon the Halon (another CFC) fire control system in our large computer room and replace it with dry-pipe water fire extinguishers.

Enjoy, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols

Well, yes, but I don't mean THAT kind of alternative. I mean like R-134a or Puron.

Reply to
Richard J Kinch