2 contractors big price difference

I just got my second opinion for a replacement heat pump (live in N Florida) the first guy looked at all my duct work, the lines to the condensor unit and asked a lot of questions. He ended up recommneding a Carrier 4ton infinity series heat pump with Puron. He made a fairly detailed drawing of the ductwork including some changes that he felt were necessary above and beyond the adding of a cold air return from the master bedroom suite. He specifically noted that the duct work leading away form the uit looked undersized (the box is smaller than the existing air handler)

So today guy two comes out looks at things asks a few questions gets on the phone to his office and comes up with a price that is $4000 less for a Carrier unit. I know a no brainer, but all his estimate says is Carrier 14 seer. . . he says duct work but i don't see it. duh call his boss and get it in writing but how to know how far apart the bids are in reality

Reply to
Joseph Coulter

I'm going to be nice to you because you helped me on a vacation one time, if its the same dude that posts on alt.cruise

Anyway, you have a problem here. Just because the guy didn't mention everything doesn't mean that he isn't going to do a good job, he may have a daughter getting married this weekend and is in a hurry to get this week over!!

So, you need to call him up and ask specific quesitons.

  1. Whats included in ductwork
  2. What level of microns does he consider good, if he stumbles around on that quesiton hang up! Don't say another word except 'goodbye' and call the other guy! If he says a number ask to see the micron gauge, seriously, most techs don't have them let alone know what they even are.
  3. What did the heat loss/gain come up to with each? It sounds like the second guy didn't do one, but he might if he gets the job so its hard to tell if he's cutting this important process.
4 Ask what he uses to braze with, stay bright, Dynaflow, silver solder. If he says stay bright, HANG up 5..Ask him for his license number and drive down to the inspectors and find out what the requirements are for changing out a system, Is a heat loss/gain required? Permit? is this guy in good standing with the city/state?

This is a lot of $$ difference, its difficult to even begin to believe that the cheaper guy knows what their doing. You have to ask for customers names and then go and talk with them and LOOK at that jobs. People who are satisfied won't let you in there places, but dis satisfied will drap you in to show you the mess they make!

good luck

Hey, whats the best cruise buy for November/December this year? I want to take my wife on another . We were on the Facination two years ago which was OK. We like the shows and Cozamel, grand cayman stuff.

Rich

Reply to
geoman

There are some good contractors on this group that might vacation down there in Florida.... or even live there. Maybe you can barter !!!

Reply to
geoman

Good Advice!

Reply to
Moe Jones

Written by a man who neither uses, nor reads the box on Stay-Brite?

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

"geoman" wrote in news:v8KdnTJIa7m5uUTZnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@adelphia.com:

Thanks, I hang out regularly at rec.travel.cruises so if that was it, you're welcome. In general Nov and Dec with the exception of Thanksgiving is a good time to cruise, pricewise. Best cruise is always a hard question. What is the best system? Carrier? which unit? is it the right size? you get the idea. but as a rule Nov and Dec have good prices if you stay out of the holiday money makers for the cruise industry.

I like 7 day cruises as they offer the best over all value to price. Carnival is always a contender although the new Royal Carib ships offer a lot of activity. Depends on your likes. If you would like an email I can offer some ideas.

Reply to
Joseph Coulter

Oh, I do use stay bright, but not on heat pumps or anything that isn't going to be removed/replaced in the near future. I will use it on short solenoid valves or TXV's but I the smallest amount of flux on and then wipe it off and then soldier. I will use it on suction driers since they have to be removed after two days of running. But for anything else I use 15% or 45%. The proof of its benefits is 3 compressor failures in 18 years..........

Rich

Reply to
geoman

I tried 15% stick braze, in my early years. But when I was shown Stay-Brite, I realized it worked much easier.

What is this Stay Bright that you use? I've not seen it in stores.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

It was a typo because I seldom ever use it so I don't remember how its spelled.

BUT, check this out

brite

. To be or become overripe, as wheat, barley, or hops. [Prov. Eng.]

Therfore, the company who named it didn't even know what the word meant......... what the heck does soldier have to do with overripe wheat or hops. I don't feel comfortable using a product that names their soldier after stuff that makes bear or cereal.

Reply to
geoman

Posters, this guy is pretty cool. I learned of his site and the alt.travel site AFTER I took a cruise and discovered I should have studied more before taking the cruise that we did. It was ok, but I didn't enjoy myself as much as I should because I didn't know what to expect. It also took five days before I could even calm down enough from work to enjoy it.

After this weekends wedding and work slows down I will contact You Joseph.

BTW, American STandard is better than Carrier, just like the Carla C was a trash heap compared to the Imagination :-)))

Rich

Reply to
geoman

Does he honor the Minion Card discounts?

Reply to
Oscar_Lives