support of equipment problem

Have to quote a job that has those big church beams and 2 x 4 tongue and grove hardwood between them.

The problem is, its a flat roof, the boards won't support (at least I'm not chancing it) a roof top unit.

I was thinking, straddle it across the big beam, supply on one side and the return on the other and then run spiral metal duct.

If this can't be done, does anyone have an idea how we can put a beam on the flat roof that would extend from one beam to the other, somehow build a curb from that and put the unit on it? I guess I'm asking for experiences before I go too far into the quote.

Rich

Reply to
geoman

Rich I have tons & tons of experience in what you're asking about. Are you positive its 2x4 t&g or 2x6? A full 2" or 1.5"?

Yes, feel comfortable straddling the beam with one pkg unit, sa & ra on either side of the beam, esp if the unit weighs 700 lbs or so. No more than one unit per beam.

As far as putting beams on the roof and building a curb up from that, not a problem! I put a 15 ton on a flat roof, mid way between 2

4x12 purlins. The purlins were 20' long and the span between them was 8 feet, centerline. On the roof I put down 6x8 beams 8 feet long, from center of purlin to center of purlin. On the 6x8's I mounted the factory roof curb, then custom fabricated sloping plywood panels from the roof to the top of the nailer on the curb. Mr roofer tied it all together using 90# torch down granulated cap sheet. I got some killer pix I can email you, showing the whole she-bang.

As for the spiral.......forget that. since its a church, high profile, a lot of exposure, talk them into using DuctSox

Its a little pricey, but wow, talk about good looking, super easy to install, throw in the washing machine to clean......recently partnered with another contractor on a church bldg like that, 4 5 ton hp's blowing into 4 40' long ductsox. air disperses on each side of the ductsox, at about a 45 degree angle down

Reply to
gofish

Fish, Its a full 2 x 5 with insulation decking over that.

Thats what I was thinking, and keep it as close to a support wall or post, right?

That would be nice if you could send them too me. Let me make up a temporary email and post it sometime today. I've been flooded with spam and havent had much time lately to deal with it. I will post a junk email later today,

This is definately something I will look into, a LOT lighter as well and no cutting etc. After labor its probably cheaper too.

ThanksFish Rich

Reply to
geoman

Theres a picture on the site you listed that shows the same type of roof that I'm dealing with. I guess the building guy thinks the wood is 4 inch's thick by 5 inchs wide. I don't agree, I think its a max of 2.5 thick.

Heres a picture of what it looks like

My new email for newsgroups WITHOUT the little dash ! snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com

take the - out of the email or it wont go through.

Thanks Fish, Cant wait to see the pics

Rich

Reply to
geoman