Re-use R22 line set for Puron system

Today I rec'd the first of 3 quotes that I plan to get to replace my

25 yr old 4T Carrier heat pump and GE air handler.

The contractor did a Manual load J and determined I need a 4T unit. (old system is also 4T).

He quoted Carrier Infinity19 HP/Infinity air coil ($10800), Carrier Comfort HP/Infinity air coil ($10,100), and Comfort HP/Comfort air coils ($9500).

His quote assumnes re-use of my old R22 line set. He claims Carrier tells them that's acceptable practice assuming it's properly evacuated. I'm curious if it really is acceptable practice?

I plan to get at least 2 more quotes but is this a basis for rejecting this contractor??

Reply to
davefr

Piping is not necessary to be change as long the piping is in good shape however installer most make sure that there is no old oil left in the system, that is very important the old oil do not mix with new gas, if that what is going to be use and as much I know Carrier uses R-410 in most of their systems I am sure you will get more respond to you question Dido say that

Reply to
AKS

It started out that you absolutely had to replace the line set when changing from an R-22 system to the new R-410a (or flush the lines). As time has gone by, it seems the systems will tolerate small amounts of the old oil and still work just fine. Now lets just toss in our common sense. You are going to replace your old system with a new HIGH EFFICIENCY 19 SEER $10,000 system and let them use the old lines over???????????? WTF is wrong with you? You should be getting a new system COMPLETE for that kinda money! This should include a new line set, high end prog stat, new low voltage wiring, new condensate lines, outdoor disconnect, whip kit, fuses, pad, pump ups, service agreement, parts and labor program and maybe even a blow job when they're finished. Bubba

Reply to
Bubba

According to Mike Rinke at Rheem, If the lineset is *correctly sized*, and in good shape........it can be blown out with dry nitrogen to remove any pockets of old oil in the lines and used with R-410a. My own personal preference is to always replace the lineset when changing to R-410a wherever possible.

The only other questions I would ask are what other corners is this guy cutting to be able to do it so cheap??

Reply to
Noon-Air

Correct here also......when ever it falls into the GRAY area....get new

Reply to
daytona°

WTF is wrong with you? Not one mention of getting all new ductwork as well. People buy high efficiency systems and expect them to work with

25 yr old leaky, poorly insulated duct systems. Oh they work, just at 6-8 seer, & not the purchased 14-19 seer.
Reply to
gofish

gofish, you hit the nail on the head! Additionally, the ductwork makes a big difference in the tonnage required to cool the place!

- udarrell

Reply to
udarrell