Outside AC unit has dieing compressor guy says I need whole new system?

My outdoor AC unit is dieing, I had a friend of friend come out and look at= . A test of the pressure out showed about 110PSI which is about half per t= he HVAC guy it should put out. Since the unit is 14 years old he recommend= s replacing the outside unit which from what I have read is a good idea on = a unit that old. He also wants to replace the whole inside air handler fur= nace etc with all new stuff.=20

Is this all needed seems pointless to replace a good working furnace and a= ir handler? It would be a 2.5 ton 10 seer unit likely replaced by a simila= r sized 13 seer unit. I have a licensed HVAC contractor coming out Monday = to get a second opinion. I just want to be sure I know what I need.

I have a suspicion the original guy is trying to screw me since he wants a = large cash deposit before he does the work which I refuse to do.

Reply to
clules327

So, what did the second and third companies say? You did get three estimates?

.

Is this all needed seems pointless to replace a good working furnace and air handler? It would be a 2.5 ton 10 seer unit likely replaced by a similar sized 13 seer unit. I have a licensed HVAC contractor coming out Monday to get a second opinion. I just want to be sure I know what I need.

I have a suspicion the original guy is trying to screw me since he wants a large cash deposit before he does the work which I refuse to do.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Is this all needed seems pointless to replace a good working furnace and air handler? It would be a 2.5 ton 10 seer unit likely replaced by a similar sized 13 seer unit. I have a licensed HVAC contractor coming out Monday to get a second opinion. I just want to be sure I know what I need.

I have a suspicion the original guy is trying to screw me since he wants a large cash deposit before he does the work which I refuse to do.

You don't have the choice of just being able to replace the outside or the inside unit... you have to replace the entire system. This has to do with the HCFC refrigerant phaseout. R22 equipment is no longer manufactured. This has been in the works since 1989

FWIW, I get a 60% deposit when I design and install a new comfort system for a customer, with the balance due on completion (start-up and inspection). Permits are pulled, and the systems get inspected where there are city building inspectors. I'm not cheap, nor do I ever want to be, but my installations look like they came out of the pages of a textbook, and they operate as they were designed to, not just "close enough".

Reply to
Steve

I'd be curious what is the suction pressure, and superheat. If you're trying to buy some time, it's very possible a good cleaning, and a couple pounds of refrigerant would buy you some time.

.

Is this all needed seems pointless to replace a good working furnace and air handler? It would be a 2.5 ton 10 seer unit likely replaced by a similar sized 13 seer unit. I have a licensed HVAC contractor coming out Monday to get a second opinion. I just want to be sure I know what I need.

I have a suspicion the original guy is trying to screw me since he wants a large cash deposit before he does the work which I refuse to do.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

at. A test of the pressure out showed about 110PSI which is about half per = the HVAC guy it should put out. Since the unit is 14 years old he recommend= s replacing the outside unit which from what I have read is a good idea on = a unit that old. He also wants to replace the whole inside air handler furn= ace etc with all new stuff. Is this all needed seems pointless to replace a= good working furnace and air handler? It would be a 2.5 ton 10 seer unit l= ikely replaced by a similar sized 13 seer unit. I have a licensed HVAC cont= ractor coming out Monday to get a second opinion. I just want to be sure I = know what I need. I have a suspicion the original guy is trying to screw me= since he wants a large cash deposit before he does the work which I refuse= to do.

There is no rule that says you must replace the entire system. You will be= switching to the new refrigerant and you will need to replace the outside = unit as well as the A-coil and housing section inside. If your furnace is = in good condition you do not "have" to replace it. Unless you opt for more= options like variable speed or multi-stage that your current furnace doesn= 't do.

Reply to
jamesgangnc

at. A test of the pressure out showed about 110PSI which is about half per= the HVAC guy it should put out. Since the unit is 14 years old he recomme= nds replacing the outside unit which from what I have read is a good idea o= n a unit that old. He also wants to replace the whole inside air handler f= urnace etc with all new stuff.=20

air handler? It would be a 2.5 ton 10 seer unit likely replaced by a simi= lar sized 13 seer unit. I have a licensed HVAC contractor coming out Monda= y to get a second opinion. I just want to be sure I know what I need.

a large cash deposit before he does the work which I refuse to do.

Just a follow up had a hvac contractor come out and it turns out the outsid= e unit needed a good cleaning and checked for other issues. The unit now c= ools much better. Glad I got a second opinion, though I know the unit will= need replacing but now I can hold off until I can get the funds. =20

I won't be calling that other guy anytime soon, make it worse the price he = quoted me was the same as the big contracting company did.

Reply to
mp187regs

Just a follow up had a hvac contractor come out and it turns out the outside unit needed a good cleaning and checked for other issues. The unit now cools much better. Glad I got a second opinion, though I know the unit will need replacing but now I can hold off until I can get the funds.

I won't be calling that other guy anytime soon, make it worse the price he quoted me was the same as the big contracting company did.

THe size of the company has nothing to do with pricing... Sometimes its better to deal with a small company, so you know who is going to do the work. With a big company, you never know untill the crew shows up.

Reply to
Steve

Glad someone still provides good, honest service. Thanks, that brightens my day a bit.

.

[...]

That is a ridiculous statement. A New furnace will fit the New A coil housing like a glove, plus have the blower capacity to properly balance heating and cooling. Also the revamping of the tinwork in the ducting will only have to be done once, instead of now and later when furnace does crap out. As an entire change out. It will be cheaper in the long run and also give better service. If bucks are in short supply...Well one must do what ones billfold dictates. Keep in mind the new systems are a lot cheaper on fuel...And fuel will apex this winter..Big time..Along with food and every other commodity!

Reply to
PaxPerPoten

On Wednesday, August 1, 2012 4:52:51 PM UTC-4, PaxPerPoten wrote:

02:12 PM UTC-4, clules327 wrote: >> My outdoor AC unit is dieing, I had a f= riend of friend come out and look at. A test of the pressure out showed abo= ut 110PSI which is about half per the HVAC guy it should put out. Since the= unit is 14 years old he recommends replacing the outside unit which from w= hat I have read is a good idea on a unit that old. He also wants to replace= the whole inside air handler furnace etc with all new stuff. Is this all n= eeded seems pointless to replace a good working furnace and air handler? It= would be a 2.5 ton 10 seer unit likely replaced by a similar sized 13 seer= unit. I have a licensed HVAC contractor coming out Monday to get a second = opinion. I just want to be sure I know what I need. I have a suspicion the = original guy is trying to screw me since he wants a large cash deposit befo= re he does the work which I refuse to do. > > There is no rule that says yo= u must replace the entire system. You will be switching to the new refriger= ant and you will need to replace the outside unit as well as the A-coil and= housing section inside. If your furnace is in good condition you do not "h= ave" to replace it. Unless you opt for more options like variable speed or = multi-stage that your current furnace doesn't do. That is a ridiculous stat= ement. A New furnace will fit the New A coil housing like a glove, plus hav= e the blower capacity to properly balance heating and cooling. Also the rev= amping of the tinwork in the ducting will only have to be done once, instea= d of now and later when furnace does crap out. As an entire change out. It = will be cheaper in the long run and also give better service. If bucks are = in short supply...Well one must do what ones billfold dictates. Keep in min= d the new systems are a lot cheaper on fuel...And fuel will apex this winte= r..Big time..Along with food and every other commodity!

There's nothing ridiculous about it. You have no idea what his existing ai= r handler and heat is or it's condition. We don't even know where he livin= g. He might be in central florida and run his heat 3 weeks a year.

Reply to
jamesgangnc

We? Apparently you didn't do your homework. Are you and Stormy closely related?

don't even

Reply to
PaxPerPoten

1, 2012 4:52:51 PM UTC-4, PaxPerPoten wrote: >> On 7/30/2012 10:57 AM, jame= sgangnc wrote:> On Saturday, July 28, >> 2012 6:02:12 PM UTC-4, clules327 w= rote:>> My outdoor AC unit is >> dieing, I had a friend of friend come out = and look at. A test of >> the pressure out showed about 110PSI which is abo= ut half per the >> HVAC guy it should put out. Since the unit is 14 years o= ld he >> recommends replacing the outside unit which from what I have read =

inside air handler furnace etc with all new stuff. Is this >> all needed s= eems pointless to replace a good working furnace and >> air handler? It wou= ld be a 2.5 ton 10 seer unit likely replaced by >> a similar sized 13 seer = unit. I have a licensed HVAC contractor >> coming out Monday to get a secon= d opinion. I just want to be sure I >> know what I need. I have a suspicion= the original guy is trying to >> screw me since he wants a large cash depo= sit before he does the >> work which I refuse to do.> > There is no rule th= at says you must >> replace the entire system. You will be switching to the= new >> refrigerant and you will need to replace the outside unit as well >=

ondition you do not "have" to replace it. Unless you opt for >> more option= s like variable speed or multi-stage that your current >> furnace doesn't d= o. That is a ridiculous statement. A New furnace >> will fit the New A coil= housing like a glove, plus have the blower >> capacity to properly balance= heating and cooling. Also the >> revamping of the tinwork in the ducting w= ill only have to be done >> once, instead of now and later when furnace doe= s crap out. As an >> entire change out. It will be cheaper in the long run = and also give >> better service. If bucks are in short supply...Well one mu= st do >> what ones billfold dictates. Keep in mind the new systems are a lo= t >> cheaper on fuel...And fuel will apex this winter..Big time..Along >> w= ith food and every other commodity! > > There's nothing ridiculous about it= . You have no idea what his > existing air handler and heat is or it's cond= ition. We We? Apparently you didn't do your homework. Are you and Stormy cl= osely related? don't even > know where he living. He might be in central fl= orida and run his > heat 3 weeks a year.

I only saw two posts from the op. I didn't catch a location in either. If= you did share it.

Reply to
jamesgangnc