Central AC outside unit freezing up

I have a Goodman central AC that is 9 years old. Recently it started freezing up the valve (expansion valve?) at the outside compressor unit. When this is froozen the compressor is still running, but the Air Handler is not running. I had a HVAC man look at it and said the freon was OK and he cleaned the coil in the Air Handler. The problem was still there. It may work for a day or two, then freeze up. It froze up yesterday around noon. The tenant shut it off, and back on after the valve thawed out. It has been running OK for the last 10 hours or so. Thanks for any help.

Reply to
over40pirate

I use a 24000BTU window unit that will freeze up if I turn the thermostat up to where the compressor runs continuously. If I set the thermostat back to where it shuts off every now and then it seems to allow the compressor to melt off (or keep from accumulating) any ice build up and doesn't freeze up. In my case the unit still does a good job of cooling even with the compressor occasionally cycling off.

Reply to
tom

The expansion valve is at the coil in the handler. Kind of hard to comment on what might be freezing up you suction line at the compressor if the freon level is ok That's usually indicative of a low charge.

Reply to
Meat Plow

Might make it easier for us to understand if you quit using trade terms (probably incorrectly). Just tell us what's the unit doing, and what part you're talking about.

"The small tube with the bare copper has frost on it, but the fat tube with the rubber insulation is warm to the touch" is far more useful than trying to use trade terms. Especially when it sounds like you know a few words, but not what they mean.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Reply to
over40pirate